Another bug with smart folders [confirmed, fixed in beta]

Options
andrewn_milo
andrewn_milo
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I believe I found another bug with smart folders. The error is consistent and very easy to re-produce.

1. Create Smart folder with "title begins with" term (something that matches some entries)
  2. Create a new Smart folder with different "title begins with" term
  3. Click Save

What I see is some weird movement on the left most panel (it kind of looks like a new item is being added to the left panel) but after the animation no new smart folder is added. Furthermore, instead of a new item appearing it seems to alter the criteria for the most recently created smart folder (so I have to go back and change back the old smart folder).

The only way I've found to create multiple smart folders after this bug has happened is to go to Help -> Troubleshooting -> Restart 1Password mini and then Quit 1Password and re-open it. Even after that, I can only create one smart folder at a time before the bug starts happening again.

This bug absolutely kills productivity since I use smart folders a lot... so any advice or fixes would be wonderful.

Comments

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Andrew,

I tried and wasn't able to duplicate your issue. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report so we can figure out what is going on?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utilityDownload the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

This bug happens to me too! I can only create one smart folder. When i create a new, the first one will be overwritten … Email with the Diagnostic Report is on the way.

Mario

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrewn_milo and @atomicbunny,

Thank you for (re)discovering and reporting this.

Can you confirm that the bug you're experiencing is that File > New Smart Folder usage when an existing Smart Folder is selected in the sidebar will overwrite that SF when saving instead of creating a new one?

That bug was fixed in 4.0.7.BETA-1 and I'm unable to reproduce it with 4.0.9. However, it is easily reproducible for me with 4.0.8 and I'll make sure it's opened in our bug tracker.

Workaround is to first select something other than a SF in the sidebar before running New Smart Folder.

Please let me know if there's anything more to this and I'll add it to our tracker. Thanks again!

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

you're right. That was the exact behavior. When i select another item in the sidebar (a category), then File ->New Smart Folder is working. 1P version is 4.0.8.

Mario

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Mario ( @atomicbunny ). Good to knew we're talking about the same bug with the same workaround. No estimate when it'll be resolved but I did mention it directly to one of our developers last night.

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening for me on 1Password 4.0.9 (409002) on OS X 10.8.5 (12F45). It happens whatever is selected in the sidebar. I have the two smart folders carried over from 1Password 3, but whenever I try to add another, it replaces the lower of the two. Note that I am never given the chance to name the ‘new’ smart folder. I am syncing with Dropbox, and one of my Macs is still on 1Password 3.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @douglas.

Thanks for reporting this. It looks like you may have discovered a similar bug.

To clarify, are the two Smart Folders from 1P3 being "carried over" with Dropbox syncing? Then when you try adding a new Smart Folder in 1P4 and it "replaced the lower of the two" from 1P3 is that modified Smart Folder being synced back to 1P3? And if that's correct what's happening after that? For example, what does the modified Smart Folder look like in 1P3 after syncing and are you modifying it again there? Do you have the same results with 1P4 after updating to 4.1.1?

Any additional information and sequence of events (in both 1P3 and 1P4) that can help us to reproduce this is appreciated. Thanks!

• Daniel Moravec
    Daniel Moravec
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have found a bug. I created 4 smart folders. They were set to include items contained a specific tag. Each smart folder used a different tag.

After creating these smart folders, I wanted to create a folder that showed me untagged items. I created a folder and tried setting it so it would include all items that had Number of Tags set to 0. That did not create a new smart folder as it should have but instead caused one of my other smart folders to adjust its settings. I went back and tried to do this again, except to set the Number of Tags to equal less than 1. I got the same result, and it then adjusted the settings in another one of my existing folders.

Very weird. I hope you guys can fix it.

Dan

• buzzico
    buzzico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, the "New Smart Folder" command doesn't work, after editing a previously created smart folder.
    When the New Smart Folder is launched the search parameters are applied to the previously edited item.

Version tested: 1Password 4.1.1 (411001) under MacBook Pro (5,1-2009) and iMac (11,2-2010 ).

Thanks,
    Alessandro

• partout
    partout
    Community Member
    Options

Same here …

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Daniel, @buzzico, @partout.

I've merged your topics with a similar one reporting that existing Smart Folder search criteria may be overwritten when creating a new one. Can you please refer to post #4 above and let me know if you're having that problem or if you can reproduce it without having an existing Smart Folder selected? Also mentioning which versions of 1P4 and OS X you're running could be helpful.

Your feedback is appreciated -- thanks!

• buzzico
    buzzico
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yes, It seams the same issue. I'm able to reproduce it without having a smart folder selected but only when the problem happend at least one time.
    Thanks.
    Alessandro
    1Password Mac Version 4.1.1 (411001)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the verification, @buzzico. Was that on OS X 10.8.5 or 10.9?

• andrewn_milo
    andrewn_milo
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for not responding earlier...

I've read through all of the responses here and unfortunately even after the latest update (Version Version 4.1 (410009)) I'm still having this issue.

The issue happens regardless of what is selected in the left column. I've tried selecting specific categories and the All Items and either way when I use File -> Smart Folder I still see the issue happening. It is impossible to create new Smart Folders unless I completely restart the program!

• andrewn_milo
    andrewn_milo
    Community Member
    Options

Also- I'm using OS X 10.9

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @andrewn_milo.

Did you ever email us a Diagnostics Report? I couldn't locate one sent to the address mentioned in the instructions or from the address you're registered with on the forum.

If convenient, could you create a secondary vault (preferably Demo) and try reproducing the problem there similarly to in the vault where it does occur? I still haven't replicated it here (latest attempt with 4.1 on 10.9.1) and am thinking it might be some preexisting content in your vault that's making a difference.

Thanks for your help and patience with this!

• andrewn_milo
    andrewn_milo
    Community Member
    Options

I've created the diagnostics file and sent it to your support email.

I've also confirmed that the issue happens on multiple vaults. I use several vaults- a few of them are set up for syncing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Report received, @andrewn_milo -- thanks! We'll be contacting you more about this trouble email.

• stenway
    stenway
    Community Member
    Options

I use, Version 4.1.1 (411001) and smart folders DONT work, after create 2 smart folders the third converts to the second and so on... so just 2 smart folders was create :( very strange bug... any help?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Smart Folders?.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @stenway.

I've moved your topic from the Mac Beta forum into a similar one in 1Password 4 for Mac since you mentioned you're using 4.1.1.

This bug has been confirmed and is fixed in 4.1.2.BETA-4. I hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.