1Password Pro on iPhone 3GS

Options
NewPrometheus
NewPrometheus
Community Member

I'm running 1Password Pro on an older iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.1.1) and I can no longer synch to Dropbox. I don't want to upgrade my iOS version, because with every new version of iOS the iPhone 3GS becomes slower and buggier, not to mention that I want to avoid Apple's imposed application changes.

I am also running 1Password 1.0.9.338 on Windows 7, and that synchs fine with DropBox, but I can't synch with my iPhone.

Can anyone suggest a solution or work around that will enable me to keep 1Password on my iPhone synched?

Thank you!

Comments

• @NewPrometheus

Dropbox sync no longer works in 1Password Pro due to a depreciated Dropbox API.

If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

Basically, there are two options for you to continue to keep everything in sync:

So if you're on iOS 5 and don't have a Mac, I'm not sure that there's any way for you to keep in sync anymore. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer. Maybe someone from AgileBits will have an idea.

• NewPrometheus
    NewPrometheus
    Community Member
    Options

First of all, thank you for your response, JasperP! I especially appreciate the way you laid out the situation so concisely.

Now, before I proceed, I want to make it clear to everyone reading this that I am merely giving voice to a point of dissent, and just as dissent is the highest form of patriotism, so too, I am a fan of AgileBits and the good, smart people that work there. Having said that, I feel like AgileBits has abandoned customers like me, and that they have strayed from the path that made them such a great company.

It seems to me that AgileBits had plenty of forewarning from Dropbox that they would disable their legacy API. AgileBits could have taken this time to roll out the "wifi sync" functionality to the 1Password Windows client, thereby averting the potential sync problem for all of their customers in "one fell swoop". In this situation, AgileBits failed to ensure that (all of) their customers were their top priority.

Instead, AgileBits expected customers that already paid for the app on iOS to pay them yet again for a new version of the same app. Additionally, AgileBits failed to consider the ramifications on legacy iPhone users of "upgrading" to iOS 6. While Apple will tell you that the iPhone 3GS can technically be "upgraded" to iOS 6, I will tell you that with every new iOS version, the iPhone 3GS has become less and less usable -- even now, it is painfully slow and apps crash often. So, no, I am not going to down-grade my iPhone 3GS to iOS 6, which means that I couldn't buy the new version of the 1Password app for iOS even if I wanted to.

So, since the first step in correcting any problem is simply recognizing the problem, I hope that the good people at AgileBits can see that they made a mistake here. Fortunately, the next step in correcting this particular problem is fairly straightforward (as eluded to above): simply roll out the "wifi sync" functionality to the 1Password Windows client! Frankly, I don't understand why this hasn't been done already.

We all make mistakes! The measure of a man, a woman, or a company (in this case), is how well they recover from those mistakes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NewPrometheus,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. Please understand that we certainly do not mean to make 1Password 3 customers feel abandoned. As @JasperP mentioned, we have tried to put as many alternatives in place as possible.

Unfortunately, even if we would have had enough time to implement a major feature like Wi-Fi sync for Windows, we would not have been able to enable this feature in 1Password 3 for iOS. When we launched 1Password 4 for iOS last year, we removed our three previous 1Password 3 for iOS apps from sale to avoid confusing customers. Apps removed from sale cannot be updated.

I know it's not an ideal situation for users such as yourself, and I really do wish we had a better solution for you. I hope that this post at least helps you understand the reasoning behind the situation. We very much appreciate your feedback here!

• Glenngi
    Glenngi
    Community Member
    Options

******Hello,

I want to make sure that I understand the compatibility issues since I have an ancient iPhone 3GS (with Apple IOS 5.1.1 and do not intend to upgrade to ios 6) with 1Password version 3.7.

I just bought 1Password 4 for Mac version 4.1.1 for my iMac that is on OS 10.8.5. The current version of 1Password 3.8.1.7 that is on my iMac is very buggy when used with my Firefox and Safari browsers, and this is why I am working on a 1 Password upgrade for my iMac computer.

So, I must ask before I install the latest version of 1Password on my iMac:

****If I install 1 Password for Mac 4.1.1 on my iMac, can I still successfully sync with with the old 1Password 3.7 on my iphone?**********

• Hey @Glenngi,

1Password 4 for Mac can not sync directly with 1Password 3 for iOS.

But you can use 1Password 3 for Mac as an intermediary between version 3 on iOS and version 4 on Mac. Follow the instructions here (post #13) by Megan to setup folder sync between 1P4 and 1P3 on your Mac (so they will share the same data). Then you can use wifi sync between the version 3 apps while still using 1Password 4 for Mac. If you need to re-download 1Password 3 for Mac, here's a direct link.

Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.