WiFi Sync - quick question

Options
msolomon8107
msolomon8107
Community Member

Previous to today using dropbox as sync mechanism. Tried wifi sync today, and got it up and running but have a quick question about its behavior. Seems that unlike dropbox sync, using wifi sync requires manual intervention by the user to initiate the wifi sync, whereas for dropbox it happens automatically in the background. Is this a true statement? Thanks.

Comments

• Hey @msolomon8107,

Yes, Wi-Fi sync is currently a manual process. This is because of the authentication method being used.

Some details from Megan:

The secret sharing we are using as our authentication method authorizes syncing between the specific Mac app and the specific iOS app. We've done it this way to ensure that only the device you want to sync has access to your data as it is transmitted wirelessly. Please note, the data IS still encrypted during this process. But we want to be sure that the data is going where it is supposed to and nowhere else in the Wi-Fi network. Authenticating both devices using this shared secret ensures that you don't risk sharing your data with unauthorized devices on your network.

That being said, Wi-Fi sync is, of course, not perfect yet. All of your feedback is valuable as we work to develop this feature and make it more user-friendly. We are committed to making this a viable option for our users who do not want their data stored in the cloud, and we appreciate you taking the time to help us make Wi-Fi sync the best that it can be.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

I'm pleased that you are honest and admit that WiFi sync is not yet perfect...so I am not going to mess about trying to get it set up. After all the recent NSA disclosures I am reluctant to commit any of my financial sites/banks/credit card site logins to Dropbox or iCloud and look forward to the day when WiFi syncing has been perfected.

This discussion has been closed.