Dropbox sync problem

Options
MikeBezner
MikeBezner
Community Member
edited January 2014 in iOS

I just noticed that my iPhone is not syncing properly with my Mac. So I effectively have no current passwords with me when not at home. I see that back in October you were working on this. I use dropbox. Is it still a problem?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I am just one user not affiliated with AgileBits, but I have not been experiencing any issues syncing with either Dropbox (which I currently am using), or with iCloud (which I have also used successfully). I have never tried WiFi syncing. This is just one report from a satisfied user.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeBezner,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting things synced up. We were experiencing some syncing troubles early into the release of 1Password 4, but things seem to be behaving now for the most part.

I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on your iOS device ("Test, iOS") and add some data
    • Does 'test for Mac' show up on your iOS device?
    • Does 'test for iOS' show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or both of your test entries show up in your database here?

Once we have a better idea of where the trouble is occurring, we'll be in a better position to help!

• MikeBezner
    MikeBezner
    Community Member
    Options

I entered the two tests and they didn't sync. The "gears" on my iOS device keep turning. In the html file only test-ios appeared.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You don't say what versions of 1PW (and iOS) you are using. A change in Dropbox prevents some older versions of 1PW for iOS from working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeBezner,

First of all, please don't be too worried about the spinning gears on your iOS device. This is a cosmetic bug: syncing occurs correctly, the gears just don't get the notification that it is done and so keep animating. Our developers have managed to squash the bug already, so the next update will have things behaving properly for you, but in the meantime, it doesn't accurately indicate if syncing is working.

If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, there is a bug that can cause 1Password to lose permission for syncing after you re-start your computer. Please try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable Dropbox. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. It should work this time.

Let me know how this works for you!

• MikeBezner
    MikeBezner
    Community Member
    Options

That appeared to work, thanks! Is this going to be a recurring problem?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeBezner,

As this is a known bug, please keep an eye on sync when you re-boot your computer. Our tech gurus are hoping to have this issue sorted out soon, but you may have to re-connect sync after re-starting your computer.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, we appreciate your patience as we track this bug down!

• MikeBezner
    MikeBezner
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it still happens every time I restart a computer- which might not be a big deal but some software updates for other products require this. Given our multiple mobile devices and computers in our family, this is a major inconvenience to redo every device every time. I know you are aware of the problem, and are working on it, but this is a serious pain in the rear. Estimated timeline to fix it???

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeBezner,

Again, you have my apologies here. I know that this is a big pain for a lot of users, and our developers are looking for a way to get this sorted out just as soon as possible! Unfortunately, as this issue is still being tracked down, I can't say much about a timeline to fix. We really appreciate your patience, and we'll have an update for you as soon as we can!

• dmkahn
    dmkahn
    Community Member
    Options

When the sync fails, clicking on it in settings brings up the failure messages, but there's no timestamp, etc. You can select each message, but does selecting it copy it to the clipboard? If it makes a difference, I'm using dropbox sync. Not sure why it was failing but it's working again. dropbox app was installed and working, etc, etc.

-David

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmkahn,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with Dropbox sync recently, but I'm glad to hear that it's working again!

If you do see any error messages in the future that you would like us to investigate, the easiest thing to do is take a screenshot of them. (There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. You can save the image to a service like Dropbox or Droplr and include a link in your forum post.) This will make it easier for us to figure out where things are getting tangled up :)

This discussion has been closed.