1Password and Dropbox: Different folder?

Zapotek
Zapotek
Community Member
edited December 2013 in iOS

Hello!

I am using Dropbox for synching all of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac). 1Password automatically creates a standard folder "/1Password/" if you are using Dropbox.

Is it possible to use a different folder in my dropbox? Where can I choose a specific dropbox folder where 1Passwords stores its data??

Greetz

Chris

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Chris ( @Zapotek ),

For the smoothest syncing experience, it really is best to leave your 1Password data in the default location. Moving the location of your keychain file could disrupt sync between the Mac and your iOS devices. Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

• Zapotek
    Zapotek
    Community Member

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

Once I had the keychain file in a different folder and it worked. But I do not know how I did it. I move the file and what else do I have to do?

Chris

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Chris ( @Zapotek ),

To reset Dropbox sync to ensure that you are using the default sync location, please follow these steps:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable Dropbox. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

Let me know how this works!

• alexismoorejones
    alexismoorejones
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

Thank you Megan! Following these steps solved the problem with my iOS device syncing to a mystery older version of my 1Password data. After performing the steps you outlined, I can confirm that my Dropbox-based sync between my Mac and iOS device are once again working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexismoorejones,

Thanks for letting me know that you're all sorted out! I'm so glad that my steps were useful :)

• SputNick
    SputNick
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

Hello! I am jumping in because my problem seems quite similar as the people above. And I already spent 6 hours (!!!) and two emails to the support team trying to solve it by myself or finding information online! Any help would be very appreciated. :)

In my case, an iPhone is not synchronizing with a shared vault through Dropbox. Here it is:

• I created (with 1Password 4 on my iMac) a secondary vault for my wife: no problem.

• I sent some elements from my vault to her vault to populate it (and to check the syncs): no problem.

• I shared that vault with Dropbox. To do this I followed your procedure and created a folder in my Dropbox folder (note it is not the same one as the folder I am using to sync my (primary) vault). Then I shared it. No problem. The proof is I can see the folder that has been created in my wife's Dropbox folder (and my wife's keychain file in that folder.) There are no other 1Password file or folder in my wife's Dropbox.

• **Now the problem: **my wife's 1Password iOS (4.3.2) on her iPhone refuses to sync with that keychain! I activate the Dropbox sync, it is trying to sync. Then two things are happening: either I receive an error message saying no keychain can be found and/or it is creating a generic 1Password folder on my wife's Dropbox with - you guess what - a generic keychain file in it. Blank, of course. So there are now 2 different folders with 2 keychains in there, the one I created/shared and the one 1Password iOS created.

I tried everything. De-enabled dropbox sync. Erased the 1Password folders and files in my wife's Dropbox folder. Resync from scratch. Even erased the Dropbox and 1Password apps from my wife's iPhone. I erased her secondary vault on my iMac, recreated it, reshared it... I followed your instructions (http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/Dropbox/dropbox-mobile-use-data-file.html). Multiple times. I never reached the 3rd point (putting the master password of the shared secondary vault and seing it synchronizing.

In one word: HELP!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SputNick,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty getting 1Password synced to your wife's phone. While your problem is similar to the issues above, it is slightly different because we are dealing with a secondary vault here. Because multiple vaults are not yet supported on iOS, the iOS app is still programmed to look for the 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, and it will not necessarily see a secondary vault (Shared.agilekeychain for example.) We can help the iOS app find this secondary keychain though.

If your wife also has installed 1Password 4, I'd like to see a Diagnostics Report for your wife's computer. This will help us determine the path to point the iOS app to :)

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• SputNick
    SputNick
    Community Member

Hello Megan! Thanks for your support - I am feeling much less lonely now! :-)

My answer will be short: my wife doesn't have "her" 1Password on her computer. We are using the same 1Password on the same family iMac (her PC laptop is a work one, she's not allowed to install anything on that!). I updated our 1Password principally because each of us could now have our vault (my wife doesn't want to have my hundreds of apps serial numbers and web logins in her vault :-)))

One family computer with 1Password, one vault for Miss, one vault for Mister, both synced on their mobile gadgets - I thought it was a pretty common user scenario! Isn't it?

Thanks again for your help!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

One family computer with 1Password, one vault for Miss, one vault for Mister, both synced on their mobile gadgets - I thought it was a pretty common user scenario! Isn't it?

It is, we moved all our stuff to separate vaults with the anticipation of the iOS version being compatible rather quickly. But thats not materialized so quickly. Funny I have only had about 4 login thats I absolutely needed with our vaults separated.

For the time being if its really important to me like my login here. I am using our shared "family" vault and using iCloud's keychain sync for my login here. My login here resides in "my" vault and as above it is currently not accessible from my iOS device because they are syncing with the family vault.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SputNick,

Sounds like a pretty good set-up you've got there! However, we are going to need to see a Diagnostic Report from your family computer, just so we can get the right path to point her iOS device to. It should be a fairly simple fix ... one that will get even more simple once we are able to provide multiple vault support on iOS devices.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling less lonely now - please let me know when you send in the Diagnostic Report and I'll track it down and get you sorted out :)

• SputNick
    SputNick
    Community Member

Done! Thanks for your help! I you want, and if necessary, I could turn on a MacBook I have in a drawer, install 1Password and synchronise it with my wife's secondary vault. Diagnostic Report. If necessary... (because it would take me some time, I even already forgot how to sync a computer with an existing 1passwordkeychain on Dropbox! :-/

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SputNick,

I've responded to your message - we'll keep the conversation going directly via email so we don't muddle things up too much between here and there :)

This discussion has been closed.