Distribution channels

Jason Murray
Jason Murray
Community Member

I see from the recent newsletter that you're going to roll out the beta gradually and invite folks in groups.

Will you be using the Google Play beta channel, or just sending folks an APK?

Comments

• Herbertt
    Herbertt
    Community Member

True, use the G+ channel like all the other app creators :-)

• At this time, we are using HockeyApp for the Android Beta release.

• Sacred_Brindle
    Sacred_Brindle
    Community Member

+1 for staying OFF the G+ channels/groups.
    We should not be required to have a FB account or G+ profile, to participate in a beta, or utilize the product. If used in addition to "X", I'm all for it, but not as a standalone.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

@Sacred_Brindle Right now with HockeyApp we get a lot of useful information that we haven't seen yet with the G+ distribution, so as of now we aren't switching anything. Thanks for the vote!

• pboos
    pboos
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

Just wanted to quickly say that probably Google Play Beta channel would have been easier to manage than through HockeyApp.

I am saying this for following reasons:

• Beta testers do not need to install another app but can receive the beta through Google Play
    • Users can join (and leave) the beta through a Google+ community (most android users already have a Google+ account)
    • A new beta update will automatically be installed (like other android apps) instead of having to install them manually everytime a new beta is out

Of course the decision is up to you. For me I have started to use Google Play Beta for own apps and prefer that way to HockeyApp.

Best Regards,
    Patrick

• pboos
    pboos
    Community Member

We should not be required to have a FB account or G+ profile, to participate in a beta, or utilize the product.

Now it is required to have a hockeyapp account. I guess more people have a G+ account (most Android users have one because Google Play requires you to have on to give feedback).

Right now with HockeyApp we get a lot of useful information that we haven't seen yet with the G+ distribution...

Would be interesting what that is. In my experience I got all the information I needed through normal analytics and crash reports (like crashlytics where you can filter by version nr). And from my experience it makes it easier in that area than having separate tracking for beta and production. :) But well. In the end it is your decision :).

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

@pboos I think it might be that a HockeyApp account only hooks to HockeyApp, a G+ or Facebook account are part of another publicly viewable service. To each his own and all of that. :)

Right now we have our other betas running via HockeyApp, so it's a tool we're familiar with already and have workflows set up to use. If we find a good enough reason to switch though, we never say never. :)

• dandorato
    dandorato
    Community Member

I am dying waiting for my beta invite. Signed up literally the second the the news broke. Can anybody help out?

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

in the same boat, trying to be patient :)

• dandorato
    dandorato
    Community Member

Its an exercise in patience :)

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

@AdieB and @dandorato, we're adding people in waves, and hopefully you'll be up soon. We'd love to add everyone at once, but that's not feasible when it comes to processing feedback, at least in the short term. Keep an eye out for an additional newsletter from us with instructions about officially joining the beta (it will look like a 'regular' newsletter but have download/install information in it) and that's your cue. :)

• The_Liv80
    The_Liv80
    Community Member

I've received the email and installed Hockey App but don't have the installation details.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

Hi @The_Liv80, you'll get a separate message from HockeyApp when you get the actual invite. Hopefully you'll see something soon. :)

• asapperstein
    asapperstein
    Community Member

Hi,

So I just got my beta invite (thanks, very excited), but I noticed that instead of using Google Play's built-in alpha/beta distribution channels, you're using HockeyApp. I'm just curious as to why? The auto-update functionality alone makes it seem really worthwhile for betas in addition to not needing to enable installation of non-Play Store apps.

Thanks.

-Andrew

• tshuo
    tshuo
    Community Member

I have same opinion

• Hi @asapperstein & @tshuo! At the moment, we are going to be using HockeyApp because it's something we are most familiar with and we use it to release betas on other platforms. HockeyApp has support for cross platform and provides great analytics and feedback from our users.

We understand Google Play Store recently added support for pre-release software, and it's something we are looking into. Perhaps in the future we may switch over to Google Play, but for now we will be sticking to HockeyApp.

• lkt
    lkt
    Community Member

Hi,

I think it's more convenient install beta in google play plataform.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/3131213?hl=en

Sorry for my English

• Teemu2
    Teemu2
    Community Member

I agree. The download link in the newsletter email looks shady. I have avoided installing as it points to http://rink.hockeyapp.net. For a security focused application, this seems like an oversight.

• Hi @lkt and @Teemu2! I'll add your votes for this request. We currently use HockeyApp to distribute all of our betas.

This is still something that's being looked over. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

This discussion has been closed.