Dropbox sync with shared vaults bug

Xipper
Xipper
Community Member

Any updates on when this will be fixed? Ultimately what this bug does is makes it so that feature may as well not exist, as before 1Password 4 everyone used Dropbox to sync their "primary" vault...you then add multiple vaults and vault sharing to the OSX version, but it may as well not be there if you have any iOS devices as you cannot actually use it without risking corruption/loss of data.

Is there any expectation of timeline when this problem will be fixed? I realize that this is called out in the release notes of the 1Password 4 for Mac discussions, however the bug is actually in the iOS version and I have been unable to find anything on this within the iOS channel.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Xipper,

I'm sorry that this is causing you trouble, but I do want to clarify that this is not a 'bug'. Multiple vaults is a new feature that was first released on 1Password 4 for Mac, and we plan on bringing this feature to all 1Password 4 platforms. Believe me you're not the only one who is excited for the multiple vaults feature to be available on iOS, and our developers are working hard to make this happen just as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, we try not to promise timeframes when discussing unreleased features because there are just too many factors involved. We'd hate to give users a date and then be unable to follow through due to factors beyond our control. I can tell you that it is high on our priority list though!

In the meantime, your iOS device will sync to your primary vault. If you're having any difficulties making this work, please let me know and I'd be happy to help! :)

• Xipper
    Xipper
    Community Member

@Megan

I refer to it as a "bug" because the known problems for 1Password 4 mentions that the iOS app could synchronize the wrong data and corrupt/overwrite the wrong vault...

If you have multiple vaults and you're syncing with Dropbox to your mobile devices, do not enable the sync for other vaults other than the primary one yet. The current iOS app does not support multiple vaults and may in fact sync one of your other vaults into the primary vault you're using in the iOS app. There will be a future iOS app update to support multiple vaults.

If that isn't a bug, then i am not sure what is. Essentially this "bug" that could result in mis-sync of data between vaults is independent of iOS supporting more than 1 vault, it just needs to not touch the non-Primary vaults. If this problem has been addressed than the known issues should be updated and state what version of the iOS app it was corrected in.

While it will be great to have multiple vault support on iOS, having the iOS app not break shared/multiple vaults for 1Password 4 on Mac is critical.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Xipper,

Thanks so much for clarifying your position here. I understand this limitation in multiple vaults is frustrating.

The complication here is with custom locations for keychains within Dropbox. Initially the location of the 1Password.agilekeychain was restricted to the Dropbox/1Password/ folder. Because users wanted the ability to change this location, when 1Password for iOS looks for your keychain in Dropbox, it now needs the ability to look through the entire Dropbox folder to find the keychain, in case the user has moved it from the default location. It is looking specifically for the 1Password.agilekeychain, and not any secondary.agilekeychains (whatever they might be named), but there is a chance that it might pick up one of these secondary keychains. In cases like this, 1Password will notice that there is a significant change in the database information found, and will ask users if they want to merge databases. If a user accepts this without realizing what the prompt means, they have inadvertently merged their vaults. The warning you quote was posted in our Known Issues to prevent situations like this.

I hope this helps to explain the situation. Our developers are working hard to bring the awesome multiple vault feature to iOS. We want this just as much as you do. :)

This discussion has been closed.