iCloud sync

ag1pwun
ag1pwun
Community Member

When I signed up for the Android beta I mistakenly assumed that iCloud sync would be supported. I guess that's not really a priority for Android since most iCloud users would be using iPhones. Any chance it could be included in the future?

Comments

• mverde
    edited January 2014

There are technical limitations that prevent us from integrating 1Password on Android with iCloud. Apple provides iCloud access on iOS and OS X as a system level service and as such it is a feature that is baked into those operating systems. As Android is developed by Google, no such system level integration exists between Android and iCloud. Syncing with iCloud from Android won't be possible until such a time as Apple decides to provide support for third-party operating systems. I can't say with certainty, but my guess is that Apple won't do that any time soon.

This is part of the reason that we provide support for Dropbox syncing on all of our platforms. Dropbox provides support for all major operating systems and is available on all major platforms. If you want to be able to sync between Mac/iOS and the Android beta, Dropbox is your only option at the moment. This may change going forward as we evaluate other syncing options.

I hope that explanation helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. We use Android phones and tablet along with a MacBook. Currently 1Password is run exclusively on the Mac where all sensitive web access is done and which doesn't travel like the other devices. It's a great app.

I like the fact that iCloud data is encrypted but that's really not an issue with 1Password. We are now considering switching to Dropbox and will watch for possible Google Drive support.

• I'm a big fan of Dropbox myself. That being said, I always think it's a good idea to be knowledgeable about the security methods employed by the cloud services that you use. Dropbox has a helpful article that explains some of the steps that they take to protect your data here. Let me know if I can be of any help setting up syncing with Dropbox.

This discussion has been closed.