Dropbox Sync Notification

Rich_R
Rich_R
Community Member

Every single time I open the app I get a notification to say that it has successfully synced - handy, but having to manually dismiss it every single time is a pain. Could it auto dismiss after a certain about of time, or could the notification be optional please?

Comments

• Zev Eisenberg
    Zev Eisenberg
    Community Member

Check out Settings → Security → Notify Sync Completion. Speaking of which, shouldn't that setting be under Sync settings? Or not be there at all? Who needs that notification anyway? Or is it just for the beta?

• bhaenraets
    bhaenraets
    Community Member

One other thingy on Dropbox syncing: when I delete (for example) 3 items in the desktop app, the Android app tells me it downloaded 3 items. That's confusing: downloading items gives me the idea that something has been added.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback! I have passed your feedback along to our development team. We're looking at ways to improve this, I think right now 1Password is a little overexcited about all the stuff it can do so it's telling you ALL THE THINGS. :) If you have any other feedback, please let us know! :)

• nevrozel
    nevrozel
    Community Member

I have the same problem with sync notifications showing every time I open the app, although I have unchecked this is settings. (Beta 7)

• myfreeweb
    myfreeweb
    Community Member

Looks like "Notify Sync Completion" turns off automatic sync instead of making the notification disappear after sync is finished :-(

• nevrozel
    nevrozel
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

@myfreeweb
    That would be really unfortunate, have you tested this? Does it actually turn off auto sync completely?

EDIT: for me it works, please see that there are two different settings regarding to sync, one about the sync notification (which currently does not work as intended) and the other one about automatic sync (which actually works and syncs automatically every time I open the app).

• bhaenraets
    bhaenraets
    Community Member

Same thing as @nevrozel here: notifications show even though I have unchecked the box in settings. (On Nexus 5/Android 4.4.2.)

• Hi guys! Thanks for reporting this issue, I was able to reproduce it on my Nexus 7 with Android 4.4.2. The notification seems to be always visible. I will add this to our bug tracker.

@nevrozel: You seem to be among the lucky ones. It's nice to hear it's working for you properly!

Thanks again!

• MacLifeGR
    MacLifeGR
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

The 'Synch Notify Completion' is under 'Security' settings, while the 'Sync Automatically' setting is under 'Sync', so its 2 different things. What you wanna check and see if it works is the 'Synch Notify Completion' under 'Security'.

P.S. its not working for me either.

• mortstar
    mortstar
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

This is a +1 to say that this setting not working for me. "Notify Sync Completion" is unticked but I still have a notification to dismiss on my Google Play Edition HTC One (Android 4.4.2 - 1Password Beta 4.0.0b7).

Preferably I'd like the sync to happen automatically (as it does now) but there to be no notification icon at all. Perhaps a choice of these options would cover all possibilities:

• The current notification bar system
    • Alternatively, have a 'toast' notification of Sync Start/Completion/Error
    • Option to turn off all notifications of sync.
  • jacobjanzen
    jacobjanzen
    Community Member

Just chiming in to agree with the above. As a quick aside, did anyone notice extremely long sync times the first go round? I was on wifi with 2MB, and it took FOREVER. I'm not sure if this is an app issue or a dropbox issue, but I feel like it was way faster with the 1Password Reader.

• saad
    edited January 2014

Hi everyone! Just a quick update. I spoke with our developers and it seems like we all misunderstood the purpose for this toggle - including myself.

'Notify Sync Completion' is a toggle for enabling or disabling toast notifications at the end of each sync, not the notification in the notification bar. Sorry for the confusion. This toggle will be moved over to Settings -> Sync and renamed with a better description of its purpose.

One thing this thread helped us understand is not everyone wants to see a notification icon after syncing with Dropbox in their notification bar. So this is definitely something we are going to be looking over.

As a workaround to disable 1Password notifications in the notification bar, you can go into your device Settings -> Apps -> 1Password and uncheck 'Show Notifications'. This will disable both Toast notifications and notifications in the notification bar.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Keep an eye out for an update! ;)

• saad
    edited January 2014

@jacobjanzen. The very first sync takes a little longer since it downloads all of your items and included attachments. It also comes down to the size of your data file (keychain), device hardware and network speed. I would recommend using WiFi to sync your items if you have a large data file with a lot of attachments.

It took us about 9 minutes to sync 3099 items which was about 60MB in size on a Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013) - including several attachments. We have been improving our sync algorithm ever since the first beta, and of course, we will continue to improve it for better speed.

• Echnie
    Echnie
    Community Member

Saad, thanks for pointing us to the workaround to disable notifications through Android settings.

I too regard the sync-succesfull-notification as pointless, as syncing is one of the core-functionalities of the app. It is like a notification telling us that a password was successfully retrieved by the app.

I can see the point of a notification telling us that syncing was unsuccessful, though.

• I agree, a notification for errors will be much more valuable. Thank you, I will pass this on.

As of right now, if you run into any errors during sync, a dialog will pop up with the sync log. You can then read the errors to get a better understanding of the problem. :) You can also send us the error log directly to our Android support team, so we can help resolve it.

• slicedbread
    slicedbread
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

agreed with above posters - better to show notifications when there are errors. Perhaps a setting to toggle if we want to be notified of changes as well. I don't see the point of showing notifications that nothing changed.

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

I agree that a notification in the android notification area/bar is not necessary or is overkill, but I personally like the toast notification that the sync went ok. It's not obtrusive and it goes away quickly.

• Thanks for up voting this request, I will pass them on to our development team. :)

This discussion has been closed.