Backstack is very weird

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

4.0.0b8

I am on the categories screen and go to settings. I hit back. Why is the app asking if I want to exit? It should go back to the categories screen.

Same case if I am on categories and go to favorites. Hitting back means I want to go back to categories.

Comments

• mverde
    edited July 2014
    Options

I can understand why this might cause some confusion - even Google isn't consistent in how they've implemented the back stack for the navigation drawer in each of their apps.

For example, the Gmail app behaves in the way that you describe. If I open the navigation drawer in Gmail from my inbox, tap starred, and then tap the back button, it takes me back to my inbox. Play Newsstand also follows this pattern.

On the other hand, Google Drive behaves similarly to the 1Password beta. In Google Drive, using the navigation drawer to switch from my drive to starred and then tapping the back button results in the app exiting. Other Google apps that follow this pattern include Play Books, Play Games, Play Movies, YouTube, Google Keep, and Google+.

Our development team has a discussion going about back button behaviour, so I will add your comments there.

This discussion has been closed.