Feedback for Android Beta

Options
Pipo
Pipo
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Android

Thanks for taking Android serious. Here are some feedback points:

• Navigation Drawer: You don't use the standard navigation drawer for Android. This would more stable and creates a better UX. "Categories" should show "Subcategories" with total items. No need for a single "Categories view" (?). Back button closes app instead of going back a view.
  • Notification: You're sync notification doesn't close itself after syncing. You can ONLY deactivate them completely.
  • Menu: The menu button (top right corner) seems to be a little bit unnecessary. "Help" could be part of "Application info" in "Settings". Exit isn't really needed(?). So only "sync" and "lock" remains - no need for menu button until you have more actions.
  • Settings: Settings icons (security, sync, advanced...) should be non-colored flat icon fonts. (Like the setting icons from Press.)
  • Favs: I use different apps and sites on mobile as on desktop. Maybe you need to add "mobile favs" and "desktop favs" (like Chrome). Without "mobile favs" my current favs are completely useless.

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hi @Pipo! Thank you for all of the great suggestions. Here are some of my thoughts:

Navigation Drawer: This is a popular request from our users, and it's something we are going to be looking into. I will add your vote. :)

Notification: Are you referring to the Toast notifications or the notifications in the notification bar? Let me know.

Menu: Good point, moving 'Help' into Settings sounds like a better idea.

Depending on the size of your screen, some buttons are moved over to the overlay menu if there isn't enough space - for example the 'plus' (add) button. The 'exit' option in the menu performs additional cleanup tasks including clearing sensitive information from the device's memory. All of your points here are great, I will pass them on to our developers.

Settings & Favs: I'll inform our developers and designers of this. Thank you.

• aroneous
    aroneous
    Community Member
    Options

I'll add another vote for the Navigation Drawer, or at least some change to the navigational hierarchy. Currently, the left-hand bar looks like it should be part of a navigational hierarchy, but it's not. I.e., if you tap 'categories', I would expect the left-hand bar to slide off to the left, and the list of categories to be the new left-hand bar, opening the selected category on the right. See the Press RSS reader for a good example of how this can work without using the Navigation Drawer - I find that to be a very logical flow.

I'll also second the vote to have the notification bar notification auto-clear when sync completes.

• saad
    Options

Hey @aroneous! Thanks for your clear and helpful information on how you would like to see the navigation bar behave. I will certainly include your comment as part of the discussion with our developers.

I'll also mention your note about the notifications.

This discussion has been closed.