Quick Unlock only works after unlocking with master password?

Options
sofakng
sofakng
Community Member

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I don't think the iPad works this way:

When I first turn on the phone and launch 1Password, it asks for the master password. If I press the home-button and switch to something else, and then come back to 1Password, it asks for the Quick Unlock password.

However, if I EXIT 1Password (or use the multi-tasker to close 1Password), it asks for the master password again.

Why doesn't it just ask for the Quick Unlock password every time regardless of the situation?

Comments

• mverde
    edited January 2014
    Options

I can assure you that this is not a bug and that this is the way in which we intend the app to function. I hope you will bear with me, because this requires a little explaining...

Master Password vs Quick Unlock Code

In order to read the data in your 1Password keychain, the app must first load the encryption keys that secure that data. Those encryption keys are protected by your master password. In order to load those keys, the app must first ask you for your master password. It will do this out of necessity whenever it is launched, as the keys are not yet loaded into memory. Thus, terminating the app ensures that the master password will be required the next time you run the app.

The quick unlock feature is provided to make switching between 1Password and other apps more convenient. It provides a simple way for you to authenticate that you have a right to view the contents of the app without having to always enter your master password. Unlike the master password, the quick unlock code cannot be used to load the encryption keys for your keychain. For this reason, the quick unlock code cannot be used to unlock the keychain when the app is launched from scratch.

Exiting on Android vs iOS

On iOS, there are effectively three ways for 1Password to be terminated:

• You use the multitasking interface to close the app
    • You reboot the phone/tablet
    • The system terminates the app in order to reclaim resources

On Android, all of the above apply, plus two additional ways:

• You tap the back button and confirm you want to exit
    • You tap the exit menu item and confirm you want to exit

I would encourage you to try closing 1Password via the multitasking interface on both iOS and Android. In both cases, I think you will see that the master password is required the next time you run the app. The same should hold true for rebooting iOS and Android devices. The back button and exit menu item on Android are simply extensions of this behaviour.

I hope this explanation helped! Thanks for using 1Password and let me know if you have any more questions.

This discussion has been closed.