Cannot reveal password

Options
BD1
BD1
Community Member

One of my passwords is all red asterisks. I cannot reveal my password and have tried multiple methods. How do I reveal a password and why are asterisks red? None of my other passwords are hidden like this.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I've never seen anything like that. What happens when you try to edit the relevant item: can you see the password then? What version of 1P4 are you running?

Stephen

• BD1
    BD1
    Community Member
    Options

I am running Version 4.1.2 (412009). It looks the same when I try to edit and will not reveal. It is all red asterisks.

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to venture a guess... that what you're seeing is a saved password that is just asterisks. The 1Password 4 application displays special characters in password fields in a red font so an asterisk would appear just as you describe.

There are many web sites that accept your value(s) and then move them into other fields thru the magic of JavaScript. That mechanism can cause a field to be altered to contain anything the web developer chooses and I'm guessing that for this site it (the field) got its contents replaced by the asterisks.

A possibility to find your actual password would be to click on the "Show web form details" button for the item. If you're lucky, the actual password got stored there and you would simply need to edit the item and select the appropriate field/value pair to be the password used for the Logins item.

This discussion has been closed.