Trouble with tags containing an exclamation mark "!" ?

Options
Logan8212
Logan8212
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

Dear AB 1P team,

my /var/log/system.log is full of those:

Jan 21 17:59:52 xoxo.local 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper[360]: 412009 [SYNC:0x7fb4fd596a60:] E updateFromAgileKeychainObject: | () Failed to convert 0D2F29778EB440B0B4A5A2A8B2230E39: 'system.folder.Tag/!abs'

Apparently 1P chokes on the "!" character being present in the tag name "!abs".

It's okay for me if you decide not do allow the use of "!" any longer, but then please just ignore the "!" or replace it with something else and go on.

Right now I don't see any way to manipulate this tag in any way through the 1P GUI which makes it impossible for me to fix this on my own.

Thank you & best regards,
Logan

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As you can't rename tags currently, if you want to achieve the same thing the way to do it is like this:

1. create the new tag you want to use and drag the problematic items to it (you can cmd + click in the item list to select non-consecutive items);
    2. delete the problematic tag from those newly tagged items;
    3. delete the problematic tag itself.

Stephen

• Logan8212
    Logan8212
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

Thank you, Stephen, this would of course be the obvious approach, if 1Password V4 OSX displayed the problematic tags — but they don't show up in the left sidebar under "TAGS", so they cannot be manipulated through the 1P V4 user interface on OSX. On iOS, 1P V4 apparently doesn't show any tags at all, so I cannot manipulate them there, either.

So I would probably need a machine running 1Password version 3 (which I don't have anymore) to be able to remove these tags from the 1Password.agilekeychain in the Dropbox.

EDIT: Perhaps I should have made it clear in my original post that I used 1Password version 3 on OS X to create these tags having a "!" in their name in the first place. I am using Dropbox sync which is how my keychain (now you seem to call it vault) got transferred to my current machine running 1Password 4. The mentioned tags don't show up in 1Password 4 at all, but I see error messages for them in /var/log/system.log which made me write this forum post.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to report this, @Logan8212. (And thanks for the helpful reply @Stephen_C!)

It doesn't appear to be an issue with the exclamation mark per se. I am creating and using tags that begin and end with exclamation marks (as well as have them in the middle).

We'd love to dig a bit deeper and see what it happening in your case, though. Could you please email us a Diagnostics Report so we can better assist you?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox. Could you also let us know in your email what happens if you open your data file in 1Password 3 for Mac?

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Logan8212
    Logan8212
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @khad,

Well, I did as the page "Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility" told me, but it seems that, while the tool appears to run just fine, fails to actually produce a report: The email message that is opened includes no attachment, and it is not possible to drag the icon from the window. I submitted the message to support@ agilebits .com anyway. I suppose we should continue working on this by email and only update this forum thread when there are news to share.

B.R. Logan

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That sounds great. We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :)

• simply_black
    simply_black
    Community Member
    Options

A response would be wonderful, here it seems to be similar.
    Not all tags I set, are shown in the sidebar under "tags". Only usual letters, no signs.
    Intelligent folders do find the not shown ones nonetheless.
    1Password 4, osx Mavericks, macbook 3013
    thanks for help
    Christoph

• Ben
    Options

@simply_black

Thanks for the note. I'm not aware of any bug that has been discovered. At the moment this appears to be more of an edge case. Could you please send us a diagnostic report with a reference (URL) to this thread so we can dig a little deeper?

Thanks!

Ben

• simply_black
    simply_black
    Community Member
    Options

I was going to create one, when the tag appeared. the files have been tagged with the (german) word Kanzlei
    Unlike other tags where a selection list pops up, this did not, and i had to type it over and over again.
    I did. The tag where there, but nothing in sidebar. Not after restarts too
    Than suddenly ( i did something else (typing data in a non tagged new object) the tag appeared in the sidebar.

Strange.. Thanks nonetheless for your response Ben

Christoph

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad that things ended up working out. That does indeed sound strange. Please do keep us posted if you have any further trouble. We're always happy to dig deeper if necessary.

Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.