Changing cloud storage option

Options
arnabdas
arnabdas
Community Member

I've been using iCloud as my cloud storage option for 1Password, both for mac and ios.

1. If I want to change the cloud storage option to Dropbox (frankly Dropbox seems to be more reliable than iCloud), will my iCloud data be automatically deleted? If not, how can I make sure that it is?

2. Finally, if due to some unfortunate turn of events, my Dropbox or iCloud 1Password data gets hacked or is accessed by unauthorised people (sorry about being sceptical about iCloud or Dropbox's security, but if Adobe can get hacked, I doubt if anyone is safe), will they be able to read my passwords?

I would be glad if someone in the know could clarify these.
Thanks.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

When you change the sync preference in 1Password, you will be asked if you want to delete the data from the cloud service you are leaving. If you answer Yes, 1Password will take care of the deletion. (For me, when I've done this, I've always answered No to the question about deleting data from the service I'm moving away from as insurance against anything going astray in the transition. I know this isn't really necessary, since my data are always also backed up locally, but it caters to my paranoia. Once I'm happy, then I delete the data from the service I left. In the case of iCloud, you do this on your Mac through System Preferences > iCloud > Manage. Once there, delete the 1Password data. If you are leaving Dropbox, just delete the 1Password entry in your local Dropbox folder. The deletion will sync to the cloud.)

If your cloud-stored data should become accessible to a bad actor, you are protected against access to your data by the strength of your master password, which is why that is the one password that you must be sure is strong. Your data are always encrypted, no matter where they are stored, and they can only be unencrypted with the master password. I guess no one can ever say that some future system could crack 1Password files, but I'm more comfortable with the security of my 1Password database than I am with my iMac or the various cloud services.

The real security of 1Password is the strength of the encryption and its resistance to attack, not the security of any particular place the protected data are stored. That said, there are lots of users who post here who refuse to backup to any cloud service.

• AddVariety
    AddVariety
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

I'm not sure if it's best to reply in this thread instead of posting my own question, but it relates to this Q&A.

Currently I'm using 1Password on my Mac, iPad and Windows Phone (though the latter is of course read only). I'm planning on using it on Windows as well, but before I buy the software, I want to know the following: I've once started using 1Password on my iPad and set up both iCloud and Dropbox for syncing. My Mac syncs with iCloud and my Windows Phone with Dropbox. Due to this I've noticed that whenever I add or change an entry on my Mac, it first needs to sync on my iPad in order to sync to Dropbox of course. Sounds logical and it is. What I don't find logical at all is that I have to remove iCloud syncing on my Mac in order to sync with Dropbox. I'd like to sync with both (you know, like a failsafe back-up in case either gets compromised in any way). Why can't the Mac app sync with both iCloud and Dropbox at the same time, while on iOS this is possible without any issues? It just doesn't make any sense that it can't sync to both, which basically means I need to abandon iCloud in order to use it correctly cross-platform.

And will this feature be added in a future release? If so, will this be a 4.x update or do we need to wait for a major release?

Will there be any other Cloud sync solution added in the near future? Like SkyDrive or Google Drive to name a few? Because although I love the apps, offering just one option for cross-platform syncing isn't an option anymore.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The developers have said that the reason you have to select one cloud sync solution or the other is that using more than one has led to problems. I don't know the nature of those problems. They have also said that because of that, the ability to pick both in the iOS version will disappear in an upcoming release. So, in the future, you will need to pick only one cloud service on all platforms. If you are wanting to use the Windows version, that will mean only Dropbox, unless Apple allows access to iCloud to other OSs in the future.

I've asked about implementing other cloud services too, and I was told that they are "considering" it. It isn't obvious to me why they couldn't add those that sync a local folder to the cloud like Dropbox does, but I don't have any knowledge of what's under the hood on any of them.

• AddVariety
    AddVariety
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for your quick response hawkmoth! Obviously, the information is not completely what I'd like to hear, but at least I now know where this is heading.

In my opinion, using 1Password in an OS X / iOS only environment is the perfect solution and worth all the money, I'd give it a 9 out of 10, simply because no product is perfect. But frankly, when stepping away from Apple's products (partly), it becomes a downhill experience. I mean: Dropbox, albeit extremely popular, is still a relatively small company with no guarantee at all that it will stay around. Putting all your focus on just this one solution is daring to say the least. I think you guys should really make work of those "considerations", because if somehow Dropbox won't be around someday or changes their functionality, you wouldn't want to put up all your users with an unsyncable password solution.

• arnabdas
    arnabdas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.