Vaults sharing between my two computers

Options
doctormo
doctormo
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

I am lost on vault access and sharing. What I want to do is so simple that it baffles me that I can not do it easily. Maybe it is one of those mysterious security issues that someone can explain to me.

I have two Mac computers (home desktop, home laptop) that share the same Dropbox account and even Apple accounts. It seems that if I create a second vault on my home machine then my laptop should see the same vaults when I start it up and access the same 1Password account on Dropbox. For some unknown reason, this will not work for me. I have tried it a number of times with no success. It seems that since it is me logging on with my secret master password and also having the secret password for the 2nd vault, I should be able to get to both vaults without doing anything complicated. There seems to be no need to get into a complicate sharing arrangement for sharing with myself.

Both machines are running latest beta version and Mavericks. Any ideas. I have also tried using folders but that is not very convenient with 1P mini extensions and I would like to access a vault with just my financial stuff vs. Agilebits, etc. Is it me or 1Password?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Sorry you're having some trouble. Have you set up syncing for the secondary vault?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Tutorials/share-vault.html

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad,

I followed the instructions before and I could not seem to get it to work as it should. I tried again with better luck this time. I found that I did not have to pay attention to the Dropbox sharing instructions as I am accessing the same drop box account from both computers. I just had to manually open the second vault from Dropbox on the second Mac and it then allowed me to access both vaults.

Now I need to work with it a little and see if it behaves properly and updates correctly. I think I just expected it to work and you have to create the new vault file and then access it to synch it correctly.

• ScooterNash
    ScooterNash
    Community Member
    Options

I have this problem too, but when I looked at the release notes, don't sync multiple vaults is not yet crossed off. Has it been fixed? I assumed that was my problem.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

ScooterNash - I am running version 4.2.BETA-2 if that helps any. The vaults were supposed to work as of the last major version change I thought.

I think I got it to work this time and can access both vaults separately or together from both Macs now. So long as you share the same Dropbox account on both machines, it appears that you do not have to do anything about sharing like the instructions above seem to indicate. You do have to create the separate vault file on the 1st machine and sync to it by double-clicking it from the second machine then you have both vaults on both machines.

• Jasper
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hey @doctormo,

Each vault has independent sync settings, so you'll need to enable syncing for each of your secondary vault. All vaults won't appear automatically on all your devices just because you are already syncing your primary vault. I'm not sure if that's what you were originally expecting, but it's been a bit confusing for some others so I mentioned it just in case.

You're correct about skipping the Dropbox sharing instructions. When using the same Dropbox account to share a secondary vault with yourself, you can skip over the "Dropbox share" section of those instructions and go to the "Adding a shared vault" section. Only if you want to share access to a vault with someone else, then you'll need to follow the "Dropbox share" part.

But hopefully everything is working for you now! :D

And @ScooterNash,

I'm not sure what you mean about multiple vaults not crossed off when you look at the release notes. Were you maybe looking at the list of known issues? If so, the part about multiple vaults is talking about 1Password for iOS. Multiple vaults are currently only supported on 1Password 4 for Mac.

If you're trying to sync multiple vaults between 1Password 4 on different Macs, the instructions that Khad posted above should help.

It's important to remember that each vault has independent sync settings, so you will need to enable syncing for each of your secondary vaults. Also remember that multiple vaults are currently limited to use with 1Password 4 for Mac.

Hope that helps! :)

• ScooterNash
    ScooterNash
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, yes. I meant the Known Issues. I have a specific use case for multiple vaults so I've been checking that waiting for it to be crossed off as an 'issue.' Maybe my problem is dropbox. Could I have one vault synced with iCloud and the other with Dropbox?

• Hey @ScooterNash,

Using multiple vaults is only an issue if you're running 1Password on devices other than Macs. If you just want to use 1Password 4 for Mac, there are no issues.

And yes, one vault can be synced with iCloud and another with Dropbox. The only limitation is with iCloud sync, which can only be used for the primary vault.

• ScooterNash
    ScooterNash
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks JasperP. That gives me some ideas to work on. Right now it seems like it's not working. Or rather, my secondary seems to work, but my primary stopped. I'll figure it out.

• You're welcome, @ScooterNash. Come back if you have a question or run into an issue. :)

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

JasperP - You are correct, what I was expecting is that I could set up the second vault on my main computer (which I did) and the second computer would be able see the second vault when synching to the same data file on Dropbox with the same master password. Silly me, it seems so obvious that this should work for that exact situation that I could not believe that it was not allowed for. I tried the instructions but must have had some bad luck since I could not get it to work right. (I am using beta versions so it could be one of those that got me also).

It sure seems to me that the greatest use for 1P is to allow access to login and password files from one place like Dropbox with multiple devices. I use it for a work Mac, home Mac, MacBook and iPad which I suspect is what many people do and where the beauty of 1P shines.

I am sure there is a reason for this and I can understand that separate files might be needed for sharing, etc. but my situation seems to be the most common use and should be easier to accommodate. Or the instructions could be clearer for that case? Hopefully it will work right now that I got it set up tonight.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

I'm sorry to hear that you're finding multiple vaults slightly confusing. Folders and Smart Folders have been a great way to keep your database organized for a while now. When we designed the multiple vaults feature for 1Password, we wanted to take a step beyond organization and make it easy to share a part of your database with other users, so that you could share all of your work Logins with the rest of your team and still keep your personal information separate (for example). This is why each vault has its' own sync settings: to make it easier to share your secondary vaults with those who need access. :)

I will certainly pass along your thoughts - we want 1Password to be as efficient and user-friendly as possibly, and it's always great to hear what our users are most keen on using 1Password for.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan,

The vault process seems counterintuitive to me for the sharing I was trying to do. it just seems it should work if you set it up on one machine then access with it with your other machine using same logins, etc.

The instructions should have an instruction for this use as you do not need to do all the stuff in the sharing section which just confused the situation. Also, 1P also does not have an Open menu item so you have double-click on the second vault to add it. Could be clearer.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Thanks again for sharing your user-experience. I'll be sure to mention to our document team that the vault-sharing process could be clarified a bit :)

This discussion has been closed.