Please PLEASE ditch the "Show XX more items" submenu [under consideration]

Options
kga1978
kga1978
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

I have noticed that 1P 4 introduced a "Show XX more items/categories, etc" whenever you have more than five items to display. Please PLEASE get rid of this - it reminds me of the horrible days of Microsoft Office and how they introduced these back in the day. They are totally unnecessary (my display can show many more than just five items) and having to press 'Show more' keeps impeding my workflow and is really annoying.

Please, could you get rid of this horrible feature or give us an option to disable it (or at least control when it should be shown - e.g. after 5, 10, 15 items, etc.).

Comments

• coachdriver
    coachdriver
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this.

Especially annoying if you have 6 items to display !

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

I am in absolute agreement. Please give us back the previous display method for this.

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this as well.

As a consultant, I have several sites where I have a large number of logins because I have a login for multiple clients and having to click that every time is very annoying.

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback. We'll see what we can do about making this more flexible in a future update, we do want to try to work around this.

For now, if you type something in the mini's search field, it'll narrow down the list for you.

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

I operate a web site with many different logins; they all show up undifferentiated (in other words, 1Password gives me the whole list no matter what page I'm on). This is a problem because while I have nine or ten logins, for different systems (for (perhaps an illusion of) security), I have to keep clicking on the "show more" thing to get to the one I need. Is there any way to go back to the old system of just showing all of them? Or perhaps in a future version, an option on some sites to only show relevant passwords by page or folder?

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

Anyone? (Bumping)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Davert.

I've merged your topic with a related one where @MikeT has previously responded about this issue, hopefully answering your question. :)

• Davert
    Davert
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for merging.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @Davert. Thanks for your comments on this.

• MikeByrne
    MikeByrne
    Community Member
    Options

There are a few Web domains, particularly my employer's, where I have many passwords—more than 5 on that domain.

In 1Password v3, when I clicked on the toolbar icon for 1Password, all of them were shown.

In v4, however, it only shows me the first five of them, and give me a "show x more items" option.

What is the logic for this change? Why are you hiding my information from me, forcing me to go through additional clicks to get to the same thing that used to be readily available in v3?

It just feels like the UI was arbitrarily crippled, but maybe I'm missing something. Does this not bother anyone else? Why change this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @MikeByrne.

Thanks for your feedback about this. I've merged your topic with a related one where @MikeT has previously responded about this issue and hopefully answers your question. :)

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that 1Password 4 BETA for Windows does not have the "Show xx more items" "feature", it simply shows all of them, just like previous versions of 1password did. This is what I want on the mac. I can't believe I am saying this, but in this case, please make the Mac version more like the Windows version.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @yippy3000.

I've updated our tracker for this issue with your observation about how it differs between 1P4 Mac and 1P4 Win beta. Thanks for noticing and mentioning that. :)

• kga1978
    kga1978
    Community Member
    Options

Since this has been updated in the tracker - are we going to see the Windows specific behavior or the Mac specific one? I still hate this 'feature' - it's really annoying and totally unnecessary.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

But the Windows beta doesn't show all categories, does it? It only shows the ones that can be filled in the browser: Logins, Identities and Credit cards. I don't want that behavior in the Mac version.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kga1978 and @Xe997.

We're listening to your feedback about this behavior and haven't made any decision yet on how it might be changed.

• jmoses
    jmoses
    Community Member
    Options

I'd take a preference to turn it on and off, or a "smart"-ish sort that bubbles the most used items to the top. But I agree, on any site that I have enough logins to trigger the behavior, I usually want to see them all, or the one I use most often isn't alphabetically in the first few shown.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

@sjk

Thanks, that's good to know. To clarify what I think of the Mac version: I like the current behaviour of hiding categories. I almost never use some categories like Passport, Membership, Drivers License and Software licenses and I don't want them to clutter the interface (remember that you can re-order your categories). However if I have many items on a specific site, then all should be shown.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Going back to @kga1978's original post, there are two issues:

• The Show N more categories that might always appear when the 1P mini first opens
    • The Show N more items that might sometimes appear during a search in 1P mini

How to selectively adjust how both are displayed is under consideration.

@jmoses: It sounds like you want an option to disable at least the latter.

@Xe997: It sounds like you prefer the former but not the latter.

• jmoses
    jmoses
    Community Member
    Options

Uh, my gripe is mainly with the "i just clicked on the browser extension" that shows with the logins for the current site. I think that's the first issue?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi, @jmoses.

1Password mini displays Show N more items when it matches over 5 items and Show N more categories when there are over 5 categories. Sometimes you'll see both:

If less than 5 items were matched you'd only see Show 7 more categories.

• jmoses
    jmoses
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, yeah. The "show more items" was my specific gripe.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @jmoses.

If you manually sort categories in the 1Password main app sidebar, then restart 1Password mini, 1P mini will display categories in the sidebar sort order. That way you can get more frequently accessed categories to appear in the top five.

• jimpm
    jimpm
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to add a +1 for this. I have several logins to the same domains, so seeing "Show x more items" is annoying. I understand there being some sort of a need for a limit (otherwise the 1PW Mini window would get too tall), but some sort of customization would be appreciated. Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @jimpm,

Thanks for your "+1" to have Show N more items customization. I've added your vote to the existing feature request. :)

With 4.2, having the new Lenient URL matching option disabled under Preferences > Browser can influence when Show N more items appears in 1Password mini. There's more explanation
    here.

• jimpm
    jimpm
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, thanks for the info. I didn't realize having Lenient URL matching on affected the Show N items (matching subdomains would explain why I am seeing fewer matches by default)...

I do like the new subdomain matching, by the way... :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

You're welcome @jimpm.

Glad to hear you like the new subdomain matching, although are you sure you're not seeing fewer matches by default when Lenient URL matching is off? :)

• jimpm
    jimpm
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, I see 5 matches +2 View More Items when Lenient URL matching is On. And 4 matches +3 More when Off. Really, I only need subdomain matching for specific logins, not a universal setting. I run a VPS and I only really need a distinction for secure.example.com vs vps.example.com; I can't think of any other logins (off the top of my head) that require a subdomain matching. But I guess universal will work :). Truth be told, matching secure.example.com/~clientname/ would be even more helpful, that's really asking for a lot! I think I'll keep Lenient matching Off for now so at least secure vs vps can utilize the subdomain matching... Thanks.

• DavidABQ
    DavidABQ
    Community Member
    Options

At a minimum it would be nice to be able to either set your own limit (rather than hard coded to 5) or to turn off the limit all together. The current way is a big inconvenience for me.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @DavidABQ,

Your vote for this has already been recorded. :)

This discussion has been closed.