Passwords with numbers letters AND special characters

Options
365nice
365nice
Community Member

Hi there - I just had a website (Cisco) that wanted a password with at least 1 of each of - characters (upper and lower case), numbers and special characters (e.g. >, @)

I was surprised that 1P4 can't generate that - the closest was the symbols option, but that doesn't give me numbers. The recipe is a radio button and not a checkbox. This seems like a shortcoming that should be easily fixed.

Have I missed something? It spoiled my normal flow when I had to copy the password and then add some numbers myself. 1P also didn't pick up the login on this site either - so I had to create the entry myself as well.

Comments

• Jonathan Lang
    Jonathan Lang
    Community Member
    Options

When you're not generating a pronouncable password, the 1Password mini app should offer the option to include not only numbers but also symbols, which are special characters. Here's one example password that I just got generated, using the option of two numbers and two symbols:
    FTXF+vDKaToWeP6)zEL9ni

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @365nice,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password's password generator. I'm curious: how are you accessing this feature?

Both the password generator in the main app and the Mini have several recipe settings that allow you to control the number of numbers and special characters (as Jonathan says) in the password. The password generator in the main app as well will allow you to edit the password after it has been generated, so you can add a specific character if the website requires it.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

I was accessing the Password generator via the "key icon" in the menu bar (I guess that is 1P mini?).

Seeing your answers - I've realised what I did wrong, I had the "pronounceable" option ticked, which makes the subsequent options a radio button. If I untick pronounceable - I would have got the digits/symbols sliders which does give what Cisco would have wanted. I guess it makes sense - in that, this combination isn't pronounceable.

thanks for responses.

This discussion has been closed.