How To: Get Started

Options
madelinep
madelinep
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

Hi everyone - I've installed 1Password for Mac, the 1Password extension and 1Password for IOS. I have an iMac, Macbook, iPhone and iPad.

The Help/Tutorials show me how to perform specific tasks, but I need to know the process to get going with it

1. Entering passwords - do I have to enter all my old passwords manually, one by one in order to populate Logins?
  2. Where do I find on my Mac all the passwords that I currently use/have saved?
  3. How do my old passwords get converted to new secure passwords? I'm still getting prompted for old passwords (or having my website logins auto-completed because I used 'Remember me' option before getting 1Password).
  4. There is no Help on each page so I don't know the meaning/significance of certain options. Can I turn on page-specific Help?
    Many Thanks - I've just spent lots of money but I'm feeling that I have to do all the work myself!
    :|

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @madelinep,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us, and thanks for purchasing 1Password! I'm happy to help you get started.

1. If you installed the 1Password extension in your browser on your Mac, then you should be prompted to automatically save a Login item whenever you log into a site for which you do not already have a Login item saved. This is the default behavior. If you are not seeing this, please let me know.

We always recommend saving Logins in the browser because it gives 1Password a chance to "learn" all the form fields on a website's login page for more accurate filling. If you create a Login item in the main 1Password app then 1Password must guess at the form fields on the page. It's pretty good at guessing, but it will always be more reliable if the fields have been "learned" by saving a Login item in the browser. :)

2. All the passwords (and other information) that you have saved in 1Password for Mac can be viewed by opening 1Password.app from your "Applications" folder (presuming you installed 1Password in your "Applications" folder as we recommend). If you are having trouble locating the 1Password application on your Mac, please let me know.

3. Since there is no standard for changing passwords on websites — every one of the trillions of websites on the Internet does it differently — you will need to log in to each website and change the password there. But 1Password makes it easier by generating a password for you. Visit the website's password change page, click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and then click "Password Generator". Adjust the password length and "recipe" if needed, then click the "Fill" button. When you submit the page, 1Password should prompt you up update your existing login item for that site. That's a general overview, but I can provide more details if you need them.

4. I'm not sure what "page" you might be looking for help for. Please let me know some more specifics if you're still having trouble. Obviously you can always ask questions here if something is unclear. We are always here to help!

If you have additional questions, let's take things one step at a time. Please let me know which of the above 4 items you'd like more help with. Once we get it completely resolved, we can move on to the next one in order to avoid any confusion.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Cheers!

• madelinep
    madelinep
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks - I'll be having a go with this later today.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Keep me posted. :)

• madelinep
    madelinep
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Ok. I have checked and the 1Password extension is enabled. However, I just created an account on a new site and I was prompted, in a popup box, to "Use Safari suggested password". This looks like an iCloud Keychain suggestion and not a 1Password suggestion. So 1Password isn't providing a password for me.

2. You say that I "need to login to every site and change the password there." So if I automatically get logged into the website (either through iCloud Keychain or because I've previously asked the site to remember my password): I must find the Change Password page < ok. I just did that....
      1Password prompted me (as you said); I did CopyNPaste and then submitted the new password. I then logged out of the site. But now neither my old password nor that new password work on the website. I've lost the CopyNPaste item, so I'm stuck! What can I do?

Finally (thanks)....
    What happens when I wish to enter websites using a third party/public computer? I won't know/remember the password specific to any website.

Thanks.
    Madeline (can we message privately?)

• madelinep
    madelinep
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I've found the item in the 1Password app. There is an option ConvertToLogin. I have clicked that and it seems to have created the new item as a Login. (The 1Password Help only showed me Mac Help not 1Password Help.) There are 3 options: Submit When Enabled / Always Submit / Never Submit. What do these mean? There's no Help to tell me.... (that's why I originally asked about 'switching-on Help').
    I have lots of questions...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was prompted, in a popup box, to "Use Safari suggested password". This looks like an iCloud Keychain suggestion and not a 1Password suggestion.

Please disable Safari's AutoFill for user names and passwords to avoid any confusion.

Then you can use 1Password to generate a password by clicking "Password Generator" then "Fill" in 1Password mini.

What happens when I wish to enter websites using a third party/public computer? I won't know/remember the password specific to any website.

You can look up the password on any iOS or Android device you are syncing with (or your Mac or Windows laptop if you have it with you). You could also use 1PasswordAnywhere to access your 1Password data in any modern browser.

There are 3 options: Submit When Enabled / Always Submit / Never Submit. What do these mean?

Most of these sorts of options can be left alone if you don't know what they are, but, again, I'm happy to answer as many questions as you have. :) That just toggles autosubmit (which means that 1Password will not only fill the Login on the page but also submit the form for you too).

• Submit When Enabled — This is the default. It just means that the Login item you are looking at will follow the global setting for autosubmit. You can change it in Preferences on the Browsers pane.

• Always Submit — Overrides the global setting for that specific Login and will submit after filling even if "Automatically submit logins after filling" is disabled in Preferences.

• Never Submit — Overrides the global setting for that specific Login and will NOT submit after filling even if "Automatically submit logins after filling" is enabled in Preferences.

(can we message privately?)

You can email us any time. We are always available to help privately: support@ agilebits .com :)

• madelinep
    madelinep
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, will mail you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Great! Someone will reply as soon as possible. We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :)

KWZ-84688-263

This discussion has been closed.