License vanishes when 1PW restarted

Options
sifutommy
sifutommy
Community Member

I recently purchased an upgrade to version 4 and applied the license. Although that seemed to work fine, that license vanishes every time I restart the application, such as when an update is applied (I'm still using betas). After restarting I see the "Trial Expired, Buy Now!" in the upper right corner. Did a bit of searching and didn't see any reports of this....can someone help?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sifutommy.

I'm sorry you've having trouble with 1Password 4 not staying licensed when you restart it. After adding the license have you restarted 1Password mini? If 1P4 goes unlicensed again please give that a try and and let us know if that fixes the problem. Thanks!

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member
    Options

I should have been clearer, but yes I've tried that. In fact, from what I can see it's the restarting of mini that causes it to "forget" the license. Closing and opening the main app works just fine.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sifutommy.

It's possible the license file isn't actually being installed. To check that, here's what I suggest doing next time you find 1P4 unlicensed:

• Open a Finder window and select Go to Folder… from the Go menu.
    • Type (or copy/paste) this into the input field and press Return:

~/Library/Applications Support/1Password 4

Be sure to include the leading ~ (tilde) character.

• Look for the License folder there. If it exists, open it and look for the License.onepassword-license file there.

• With either folder still open in Finder add your license to 1P4 again and verify that the license file is being created (and possibly its folder, too).

Or, if you're savvy with Terminal and shell commands you can do similar checking there.

If the license file does exist you can watch for it to disappear again with certain 1P4 activity. If it never exists then it could be a permissions issue. The steps above will help isolate what's happening so we can determine how to fix it.

Please let me know how that goes -- thanks!

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, the License directory is empty despite my license showing in the UI. If I remove the directory, restart 1PW and re-add the license, the directory gets recreated but again with nothing inside it. By the way, I'm seeing this exact behavior on both my Macs. The permissions on the directories seem normal.

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member
    Options

More clues. From the log:

Thu Feb 6 17:48:58 2014| 420003 [ER_SUBSYSTEM:0x7ff3f1ca0c20:] E addData:error: | Failed to write 'file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/1Password%204/License/License.onepassword-license': Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4 "The file “License.onepassword-license” doesn’t exist." UserInfo=0x7ff3f1cafae0 {NSFilePath=/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/License/License.onepassword-license, NSUnderlyingError=0x7ff3f1c9e380 "The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory"}

Note that I am just clicking the "Click here to automatically add your license" link I received in the email. I suppose I could manually put the license file in the directory, but it certainly seems like you have a bug here...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perfect clues, @sifutommy -- thanks!

The Click here to automatically add your license link in the email you received is malfunctioning. I've asked one of our developers to investigate the cause.

Instead, please use these instructions for downloading and adding your 1P4 license file:

How do I add my license to 1Password 4?

I'm quite confident you'll have success with that method. :)

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Unfortunately I think it's more than the link in the email. I tried both methods specified in the link you provided; specifically double clicking the license file as well as going 1 Password 4 | License... and then clicking the Add License button. Both methods had the same result as clicking the link in the email. License added but not saved to the directory, same log message and gone after restart. I did get it to finally take by manually placing the file in the License directory and renaming it from <MyName>-<some uuid>.onepassword-license to License.onepassword-license.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's puzzling, @sifutommy. I'm sorry you had to resort to extra manual installation of the license file.

Would you mind emailing us a Diagnostics Report that we can check for perfecter clues to what's going on? :)

Thanks!

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Sent! As I said, I have another machine on which I can reproduce this. I'll refrain from configuring the license manually on that box for a while in case you guys need anything else from me.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sifutommy.

It does appear there's an issue with recent 1P4 betas that's preventing the license file from being created in the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/License folder when using any of the recommended methods. The symptoms are like you've described here and in my own testing. Workarounds are to manually add the license file, like you've done on one system, or add it using a non-beta version of 1P4.

Our developers are aware of this and should have it fixed in the next beta. Thanks for reporting and helping to clarifying the problem!

This discussion has been closed.