Repeated errors creating login in OS X then using in iOS

Options
callum
callum
Community Member

This issue has happened 3 times in a row now - most recently a few minutes ago.

I create a login entry for a web page using the desktop 1Password client (OS X - Version 4.1.2 (412009)). Then, a few minutes later, I install the complementary app on my iPhone 5S, open 1Password for iOS (Version 4.3.2) and copy/paste the synced password into the app login.

I use DropBox for syncing.

App login fails with unknown password.

Go back to website, trigger lost password feature, get a new password, update entry in OS X 1Password, switch back to iOS, wait for sync, grab new password and now I am able to log in.

Only weirdness I've seen recently is a failure to sync earlier in the week. There was a long error message in iOS synch set up page. I turned DropBox sync off then on, re-enabled and sync happened correctly.

I haven't yet dug into this - tried original password from OS X version before I change for example to see if synching is failing. Might be the long, 15 char, unpronounceable passwords vs shorter, pronouncable ones

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @callum.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with passwords copied from 1Password 4 on iOS being unknown when pasting them into apps.

After creating/updating a Login item with 1P4 on your Mac it sounds like the change hasn't finishing syncing with 1P4 on your iPhone before copying/pasting it. While troubleshooting this problem I suggest checking that you're actually using the password you expect:

• In 1P4 Mac, tap the Option key for the selected item in 1P4 Mac to temporarily display its password field.
    • In 1P4 iOS, tap the same item's password field and select Reveal to display it.

If the passwords differ they definitely haven't been synced so it would expected to get an "unknown password" error after pasting into an iOS app. If they're the same and you're getting the "unknown password" after pasting then that's a symptom of a different problem.

Also check Dropbox syncing status under Settings > Sync:

And the Sync History for Dropbox.

Hopefully that helps you find a pattern to this problem. Or, even better, the problem is gone.

Disabling/re-enabling Dropbox syncing in 1P4 on iOS devices can trigger rate limiting errors. Here's more information about that:

The error message about "rate limiting" is coming directly from Dropbox. This can happen during the initial sync when a lot of data needs to be downloaded all at once. The error should be temporary and should automatically resolve itself after a few hours. There are a few things to keep in mind however:

1. You must not disable Dropbox syncing and re-enable it. People often do this thinking that it will solve the issue but every time you disable and re-enable syncing 1Password is forced to re-download all the files and this will cause the rate limiting to happen again. It basically resets everything and we're forced to start over.

2. If you have a lot of attachments stored in 1Password it could take a long time for this rate limiting error to go away. The reason is 1Password for iOS will download all your attachments automatically during syncing. This can be a great feature as it allows you to view all your attachments while offline, but it comes at the cost of making the initial sync much slower. As soon as you have more than a few megabytes of attachments stored in 1Password Dropbox will start rate limiting you as 1Password attempts to download everything at once. Eventually all the attachments will download but it will take time.

Most often this issue happens because of attachments. The good news is 1Password will only download your attachments after all your items finish downloading so you can access all your data (except attachments) even though the Dropbox syncing hasn't fully completed.

Please let us know if you continue having problems and we'll help you dig deeper to get them resolved. Thanks!

• callum
    callum
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that background and info sjk - I'll try to repro again today and see what I can find.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @callum. Do keep us posted on your findings. :)

• callum
    callum
    Community Member
    Options

I tried generating passwords several times across devices and comparing the generated one with the synced one and all okay. I'll let you know if it happens again but seems okay now.

Only other thing I can think of is that the sites in question had different password content restrictions on web site vs app - I used 16 char random chars including punctuation first time in all cases then reverted to something shorter and marked as pronounceable in the password recipe. I'll let you (and them) know if this is the case.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for those followup results of your testing, @callum. I'm glad it's been working correctly again.

Do you have an specific example of any site/app where you suspect there's a difference in password restrictions between them?

• callum
    callum
    Community Member
    Options

The last site I registered for where this happened was HackPad - http://hackpad.com and the corresponding app in the iOS app store. Not sure if there is an inconsistency though - just can't think of anything else.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks again, @callum.

I also can't think of anything else right now that might have caused the issue beyond what we've already discussed. Every password I've generated with in the 1P4 Password Generator on OS X has subsequently worked with a corresponding iOS app using the password synced to 1P4 iOS. Next time I do that, at least with Hackpad as a test, I'll try a trickier recipe.

This discussion has been closed.