'An unknown error occurred' when trying to sync via Dropbox

Options
Tim Jeffries
Tim Jeffries
Community Member

I have been syncing 1Password via Dropbox across multiple iOS devices and Macs for as long as I can remember. Recently it stopped working on my iOS devices saying "Last synced a second ago There was a problem with the Dropbox service." So I tried the old 'turn it off and on again trick and am now faced with the very helpful "An unknown error occurred" when attempting to create the link to Dropbox. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Thanks.

Comments

• Bill_W
    Bill_W
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

G'day,

Exactly the same here. Sync has worked for ever but tonight got an error when syncing. Applied the the standard fix of turning sync off and on and now have a Dropbox 'unknown error occurred' message. Dropbox/1password is fine on my Windows (beta and ver 3) and Android (beta).

Regards

Edit. I deleted 1password and Dropbox off the iPad and reinstalled. All good now.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am seeing this problem as well. I am on 4.3.2 for IOS.
    Sync is failing with "Last synced a second ago. There was a problem with the dropbox service."

At first I thought this was due to the dropbox outage. But the outage appears to be resolved. I did not try to launch the app during the outage.

I am able to access dropbox from the iOS Dropbox app, from my Mac, and from a web browser. 1PW on iOS remains unable to sync.

• Lee Roos
    Lee Roos
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having a similar problem. Used to be able to sync between MacBook, iPhone, and iPad, via DropBox. This was not so a week ago. I also got the "unknown error occurred" message. I do not want to delete 1Password from my iPhone, because it has some new login entries that need to be synced. That was the original thing I was trying to do.

• aussiebob
    aussiebob
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox has been compromised see HEREIm also having this issue.We need another service option besides iCloud

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

This problem is also affecting my wife's iOS 1Password app. Red dot on settings - "There was a problem with the dropbox service"

PS: Dropbox was not hacked. It had an outage. (And that was over before I started having this problem.) Dropbox Back Online, Hacktivist Database Leak Was Hoax

• lwd
    lwd
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

Have the same problem, unable to sync to Dropbox on any iOS device. Also tried log off log on, but now get the same "an unknown error occurred" message!

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

Seems to be working now.

I wonder if the Dropbox maintenance that caused the downtime on Friday was to blame. Perhaps they introduced a glitch in their API and then quietly fixed it over the weekend.

• Appfel
    Appfel
    Community Member
    Options

Still having this problem? Please disable Dropbox sync and close 1Password totally (Double tap Home-button and swipe 1Password up on iOS 7). Open 1Password again and enable Dropbox sync again.

• theandy
    theandy
    Community Member
    Options

This was frustrating me for a week or so, and Agilebits wasnt recognizing my problem. Because you know, I was the only person experiencing this... Anyway, happy to find this board. Tried a number of things, but what eventually worked for me was deleting both Dropbox and 1Password apps from the phone, syncing, then replacing them both back onto the device, and syncing. The 1Password sync via Dropbox finally worked (for me). Good luck.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

I'm so sorry about the recent trouble with Dropbox syncing. As you may have heard, Dropbox did experience a service outage over the weekend, but things are now back to normal.

Please let me know if you are still having difficulties with Dropbox sync and we will be happy to investigate further.

• Satya_123
    Satya_123
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi @Megan, I am working on IOS app.Integrated Dropbox successfully.It worked fine,but since evening I am getting an error "There is an error loading Dropbox.Please try again". I tried to solve by changing app in appconsole , and also created new app in other account,but till now facing the same problem.Please let me know how to solve this.Its killing my time.Thanks in advance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Satya_123,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with Dropbox. Please try resetting sync by going to Settings > Sync, and toggling the Dropbox switch to off. Quit 1Password, then start it again, and re-enable sync.

If this does not work, please tell me exactly what that error code is saying. (If it's easier, you can take a screenshot and attach it to your reply post.)

• skidoctor
    skidoctor
    Community Member
    Options

Whenever I attempt to login to Dropbox it fails with a "Login Failed. Make sure email and password are correct. Error (null)". Since I confirmed the email/password work via a web page I know that is not the problem. I am running 1Password Pro Ver 3.7.2 (Nov 2 2012) on an Iphone 5 IOS 7.0.4

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @skidoctor,

Thanks for including the version number in your post! Unfortunately, the issue you are seeing is the result of a recent change that Dropbox made to their API. We've written a blog post that should answer most of your questions here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

But, the basic gist of things is this: due to these changes, 1Password 3 for iOS can no longer sync via Dropbox. Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS has been built to work with Dropbox's latest and greatest sync technology. 1Password 4 for iOS has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater. If the iOS device(s) you want to run 1Password on are running iOS 6+, the best solution is to move to 1Password 4 for iOS.

You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS in the App Store:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Once installed, just open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap that you have used 1Password before, then tap Sync with Dropbox.

If you just need a way to backup your data to a Mac or PC for safe keeping, 1Password 3 for iOS has a nifty Backup & Restore option. 1Password can create an encrypted backup of your data file, and you can use a browser on a Mac or PC to copy that file to a place for safe keeping. Here’s our guide to get started with that:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

I do apologize for the inconvenience here. If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help!

• Toni80
    Toni80
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased 1password for my iphone and then for my Mac and have been syncing first via dropbox and then icloud. Today I purchased an ipad and was able to add that without a problem. My husband got a new iphone and I wanted to share my vault with him. I purchased the 1password app for his phone but I can't get it to sync with my dropbox. I tried making the keychain a shared folder with his dropbox and trying to sync with that but still no luck. I can make a separate vault but we really don't need this. We would like to just share the same one. Is this possible?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Toni80,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some trouble getting your husband's phone set up with 1Password. It sounds like you've done things right - sharing the 1Password folder in Dropbox is the correct way to give your husband access to your 1Password.agilekeychain.

Now, you don't mention exactly where the problem is coming in, so I'll just mention one bug that is currently giving users some grief. We are currently tracking a bug where you might see an error trying to access a keychain in Dropbox if the Dropbox app is not installed on the phone. Please ensure that the Dropbox app is installed on the phone.

If you do have the Dropbox app installed and things are still not behaving for you, could you please provide a bit more detail about the issue? If you are seeing an error message, I'd love to know exactly what it says. You can take a screenshot of the message or the screen that you are stuck on, if that's easier. There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. You can save the image to a service like Dropbox and include a link in your reply.

This discussion has been closed.