Removing 1Password from Dropbox

Options
uncldon
uncldon
Community Member

I recently decided to change my cloud storage service and ****I want to remove 1Password from Dropbox****. Is there a "right way" to do that? My understanding is that they keep deleted items for 30 days. Not sure what happens when you close your Dropbox account, but I have a few shared folders I will probably leave there (keeping the account open, but not using it actively except for materials already shared until I can move the sharing to my new service, whatever it turns out to be). I fished through many pages of existing posts but did not find anything pertinent. If I just didn't look hard enough, please point me to the answer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @uncldon,

When you change your sync method in Preferences > Sync, 1Password will give you the option of removing your data from Dropbox. You're right though, Dropbox does provide you with a backup and keep deleted files on hand, just in case.

To remove these files permanently, log in to your account at www.dropbox.com and select the option to show deleted files (the trashcan icon in the upper menu). Once your deleted files are visible, you can right-click on your 1Password data and select 'Permanently delete'.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• uncldon
    uncldon
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, Thanks for the advice. I have done a very good job of removing all folders and files related to 1Password from my Dropbox account (I especially enjoyed using "Permanently delete"). So it sounds like we are 90% done. When I launch 1Password, it still shows Dropbox as being "installed". I was expecting it to say "uninstalled" at this point. Is there a problem or is this just telling me that I can use Dropbox if I choose?
    Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @uncldon,

This is just 1Password's way of telling you that Dropbox is available if you would like to resume syncing. To remove this message, you would need to uninstall the Dropbox app. But, since you've already used that permanent delete to remove your 1Password data from your Dropbox account, I think that is probably unnecessary. We can probably call this 100% done, hooray!

• uncldon
    uncldon
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks for all your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @uncldon, on behalf of @Megan. :)

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

This discussion has been closed.