No printing in 1Password 4 for Mac means users no longer have control over their own data

Options
2»

Comments

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

printing with 1Password3 allows one page per password

When I choose Print All in 1Password 3, I get more than one record on a page. The records can sometimes be long, but they're concatenated. (I believe that's the right term.)

Incidentally, I emailed my Mac App Store receipt for 1Password to AgileBits support and got back a serial number for the downloadable version of 1Password 3. I installed 1Password 3 on an second Mac, brought over a copy of 1Password.agilekeychain from my primary Mac, had 1Password 3 open the data file, and printed. A bit of a process, but it worked.

Three questions come to mind:

1) Could have done this with just one Mac?

2) Is 1Password 3 compatible with Mavericks (in the event the machine used for printing was running 10.9)?

3) How would I do this if I was syncing 1Password 4 to iCloud? What 1Password 4 puts in ~/Library/Mobile Documents seems different than the 1Password.agilekeychain package that's in Dropbox or local storage. I thought about exporting a .1pif file from 1Password 4 and importing that into 1Password 3, but I'm not sure if a 1Password 4 .1pif file is backwards compatible. Has anyone tried this?

• @billj

1) Could have done this with just one Mac?

Yes, I'm quite sure. I previously had version 3 and version 4 beta installed at same time, so I don't see why you couldn't download 1Password 3 on a Mac with 1Password 4 installed.

2) Is 1Password 3 compatible with Mavericks (in the event the machine used for printing was running 10.9)?

Yes. I don't think version 3 has been extensively tested on Mavericks, but everything should be fine.

3) How would I do this if I was syncing 1Password 4 to iCloud? What 1Password 4 puts in ~/Library/Mobile Documents seems different than the 1Password.agilekeychain package that's in Dropbox or local storage. I thought about exporting a .1pif file from 1Password 4 and importing that into 1Password 3, but I'm not sure if a 1Password 4 .1pif file is backwards compatible. Has anyone tried this?

iCloud sync uses the new Cloud Keychain format instead of the Agile Keychain format - therefore it can't be used in 1Password 3. But a 1pif file exported from version 4 should work in version 3.

Hope that helps! :D

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, JasperP, for your comments.

I was concerned that having both 1PWD 4 and 1PWD 3 in the same user account on the same Mac might cause issues with support files. But interestingly enough, I've not found any 1PWD support files in Caches and Preferences (probably for security reasons). And whatever's in ~/Library/Containers is, I believe, related to the Mac App Store version of 1PWD, not the downloadable version.

But a 1pif file exported from version 4 should work in version 3.

That's great, but surprises me. 1PWD 3 records had a fixed number of fields, with non-editable labels. 1PWD 4 supports user-created fields and labels. (Nice!) Do you know how 1PWD 3 deals with that?

Come to think of it, I should see if the 1PWD 3 printout of my 1PWD 4 data includes my customized fields and labels.

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@billj You're right that 1Password 3 doesn't support custom fields. While a 1pif file from 1Password 4 is compatible with 1Password 3, I'm quite sure your custom fields won't be available in 1Password 3. It doesn't matter how you open your version 4 data in version 3, I don't think you'll be ever able to view your custom fields.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stacey and @1PasswordDependent,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately I can't give you much more detail about the printing feature at this time. Our developers have been busy squashing some annoying syncing bugs in 1Password 4, but now that the big issues have been sorted out we can start to turn our attention to polishing up some features and adding new ones.

In the meantime, we'd be more than happy to help you print out your password database using 1Password 3. You can download a trial version from our website (which will work just fine in Mavericks), and sync your data over using Dropbox, or import via .1pif. Please let me know if I can help you any further with this :)

• 1PasswordDependent
    1PasswordDependent
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Stacey - thanks for your response. The 1Password3 printout is the same problem of having to print many sheets - mine were over 160 pages. This is a bit like Microsoft Windows 2000 proclaiming success - when all they accomplished was Mac OS circa 1995.

Why is progress on this issue apparently going backwards? I posted about this issue 6 months ago - and now a slew of other users are making similar requests.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

First impressions of the print function in 4.1.BETA-6 (410006):

• The password font is nice, but it is only used for passwords. I have some password-ish usernames, and keep some password-ish info in Notes fields (e.g. security question responses), and the font used for everything except passwords is deficient in its rendering of ambiguous characters such as l and I.
    • You cannot print one or more selected items; the Print command behaves as though there is an implicit Select All. Printouts include every item contained in the category, folder, or tag selected in the left sidebar. Users should not be forced to create a special tag or folder in order to print one item, or a set of selected items.
    • Line breaks in note fields are not respected.
    • 1Password 3 chat account entries are treated as logins in 1Password 4, but in print-outs the chat service (aol, jabber, etc.) is listed as an Airport ID and the port number as a Network Name. This error actually exists in the 1Password 4 entries themselves, but I never noticed it until I reviewed the output from the Print command. I wish that 1Password 4 did not display chat accounts as logins, but if you are going to do it then at least do it right.
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Over one week has gone by, 4.1.1 has been released, and none of the printing issues that I identified in 4.1.BETA-6 has been addressed.

I did overlook something in my November 29 comment, which is that a method was provided for printing a single item, albeit not a set of selected items. The method is well-concealed, as it shows up neither in File > Print nor in the Ctrl-click contextual menu. It was mentioned in the release notes, but I obviously did not read them with sufficient care at the time.

I strongly dislike Item > Share ► Print as the menu command for printing a single item. Printing is not a form of sharing. This is an awful UI, IMO. I also strongly doubt that most users would consider printing an entire list of items to be the expected behavior of ⌘P.

Immediate fixes:

• Add Share to the Ctrl-click contextual menu for a selected item or items.
    • “Promote” Share ► Print to Print in the Item menu and the Ctrl-click contextual menu.

Strongly-recommended change:

• File > Print and ⌘P should print the selected item(s).
    • The present File > Print should be renamed File > Print list and assigned the shortcut ⌃⌘P.
  • billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

benfdc observed that

Line breaks in note fields are not respected

I just updated to Mac App Store version 4.1, and wish to make few related observations:

1) When line breaks are ignored, text from one line runs into the text from the following line without any separation.

2) The first word of a line in note fields following a return is frequently omitted.

Here's an example of the text in a Secure Note:

What was the model of your first Macintosh computer? A: Quadra 800
    Where was your first bank account? A: West Bank of the Mississippi
    What is the velocity of an unladen swallow? A: African or European?

What was the loudest concert you attended? The Who
    What was that? A: THE WHO

And here's what the printout of that Secure Note looks like:

What was the model of your first Macintosh computer? A: Quadra 800was your first bank account? A: West Bank of the Mississippiis the velocity of an unladen swallow? A: African or European?

was the loudest concert you attended? The Whowas that? A: THE WHO

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

Thanks for your bug reports and suggestions for 1P4 printing. I've filed these in our tracker. Sorry for the belated followup here.

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    Options

In my experience, now that printing was finally added in a 4.x update, it's very problematic for backing up the notes. I had over 1000 items and for various other reasons, removed all 1PW software and keychains from my Mac (I had a long series of emails during which I had to be very insistent I want to do this, but kept being told to take the Agile Bits rep's "advice"... another story...), and planned to make a good solid pdf backup from which I could copy and paste text.
    Problem is, as stated by benfdc, the notes field text is rather messed up in the pdf. Whole words missing, line breaks fouled up. In the step from 3 to 4, many of the notes were duplicated. Plenty of items have the same data twice.
    This has been a horribly managed update.
    I also had the experience of customer service emails not being answered, and months later getting a 'hope you got it figured out by now' email and invitation to go back to the end of the line.
    Agile Bits is not what is was years ago. Sad. 1PW is doing down the drain. I'll finish this transfer from pdf I saved before deleting the app and now-not-syncing versions on ios devices. Hopefully it clears up the glitches in operations. If not, I'm definitely looking for another pw manager. AB is serving its own interests these days, not the users'. Sad, especially for paid software.

This discussion has been closed.