Bug: Go and Fill in New Tab does not work in Chrome with blank tab [Fix version coming soon]

Options
Jeff
Jeff
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

1Password Mac 4.1.2 (412009) and Chrome Version 32.0.1700.107 & 1P Chrome Extension 4.1.0.90, OS X 10.9.1

I have removed the Chrome extenstion and re-downloaded and installed it. Oddly it works for a few times thereafter, but then again goes back to being completely unresponsive to menu choices in the Chrome 1P toolbar. Note that Safari works just fine.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jeff,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention- and for including all your version information in the original post, that helps a lot!

Now, we are currently tracking an issue where 1Password doesn't fill properly when faced with a blank tab. Could you tell me if you are seeing this behaviour every time you invoke the Go and Fill feature, or is it just with a new tab? And just to confirm my suspicions, please check the Mini settings (click the key and the gear/vault icon to view settings) and let me know if the 'Open URLs in' is set to Current Tab, New Tab or New Window.

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan I was about to report this same issue and found this thread. Looks like I can reproduce this problem when I've got an empty tab open but if I have an existing web page open and I select a login from 1Password, everything works as expected. FWIW, this used to work fine.. might be a recent Chrome update that broke it?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi, @fongd.

Go & Fill with empty tabs should be improved in the current beta (4.2.0.BETA-2) of the 1P4 Chrome extension. If you'd like to give that a try, select Enable betas on the 1Password Extension page before clicking the big green Install button. And make sure it's the only extension enabled on the chrome://extensions page in Chrome. Any feedback is appreciated - thanks!

Of course you're also welcome to try the beta extension, @Jeff. :)

• Telegard
    Telegard
    Community Member
    Options

A strange problem started occurring a couple days ago, I am not sure if it's with a recent chrome update or 1Password plugin update.

In Chrome, when I search for a login, then select a login from the open login results section, the website no longer opens, nothing happens.

I have reinstalled the plugin, and it will work the first time, then stop working after that.

I also noticed this is happening across all my Mac laptops where I have chrome installed (I don't have any Windows computers).

The plugin seems to work fine in Firefox on the same computers.

Really frustrating as I religiously use 1Password for all my logins, and Chrome is my primary browser.

Any advice?

~Telegard

• ephill
    ephill
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same experience as Jeff. After reading @fongd, I tried using the toolbar with an existing web page open and it worked. Still doesn't work if I'm in a new tab. I'm using Chrome 32.0.1700.107, 1P extension 4.1.0.90 and 1P 4.1.2 with OS X 10.9.1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ephil,

Thanks for confirming that you're seeing this as well! Our developers are on it, and you should see better behaviour here soon. If this is driving you bonkers right now, you're welcome to enable beta extensions as @sjk suggests above. :)

• I'm sorry for the trouble @Telegard, this is a regression that was introduced in the latest release.

I'm going to fix this today and include the fix in the 4.1.1 release. I'll let you know when that's ready.

• Telegard
    Telegard
    Community Member
    Options

Great thanks. I also just noticed a couple other threads about this, a noted a comment about the problem only occurring on blank tabs. I tested this and this is also true for me. The problem only seems to occur on a blank tab. Hope this helps.
    Best,
    Telegard

• dteare
    edited February 2014
    Options

That's good to hear @Telegard as it sounds exactly like the issue @Megan just showed me how to reproduce.

I just published version 4.1.1 of the Chrome extension that resolves this issue. Please update and see if it works for you. Chrome will update you automatically but you can force it to check immediately by going to the chrome://extensions page, enabling Developer Mode, and then clicking Update extensions now, as shown here:

I hope that helps. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

• Telegard
    Telegard
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, all is working again! Thanks for the fast fix! It's funny how integrated 1Password has become in my workflow, very sad when it's not working :(
    ~Telegard

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Telegard,

I certainly know what you mean about relying on 1Password for your workflow, and I'm glad that we were able to get this fixed for you! :)

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

Yay the latest update does appear to fix this. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent, @fongd. We're all glad to know your issue has been fixed with the extension update. :)

This discussion has been closed.