FEATURE REQ: Search at top of Favorites/Categories tab or new "Open 1Password in Search Mode" option

Options
T_Will
T_Will
Community Member
edited February 2014 in iOS

I've always thought 1Password should have a search box available on the Favorites tab and the top level of the Categories tab.

Right now the search process is 4 steps:

1. Open 1Password
  2. Tap Categories tab
  3. Tap "All Items"
  4. Tap "Search"

If there were a search at the top of Favorites/Categories it could be a 2 step process:

1. Open 1Password
  2. Tap Search at the top (or pull down then tap search)

Or even better yet, add a new option to "Open 1Password in Search Mode". This would cause 1Password to open directly to a search box with the keyboard up and ready to go. This would improve it to a 1 step process :-) :

1. Open 1Password and search

I'd say 90% of the time I open 1Password and immediately do a search, so this would be extremely helpful to me. Just some thoughts. ;-)

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, @T_Will. I use 1Password much the same way and can see where you're coming from. For now, though…do you use Drafts or Launch Center Pro? In Launch Center Pro, you tap Search > 1Password and enter your search terms. It's possible in Drafts, too—I installed the "Search in 1Password" Drafts action from their web site but it was too complicated for me to figure out in 10 seconds. Launch Center Pro was a lot easier. I know it's not perfect, but maybe it'll fit your workflow better than the current approach, until we improve things on our end.

• T_Will
    T_Will
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, yeah I have LCP, but haven't gotten into the habit of using it yet. Maybe I'll try this workaround in the interim though.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

I have this set up in Launch Center as well. If you want Launch Center to open the beta, use this URL: onepasswordb://search/

• T_Will
    T_Will
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I was just going to ask about the URL scheme for the beta. :-)

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @ethansisson. =)

• jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member
    Options

To have LCP pop up a dialog box prior to opening the app use this onepasswordb://search/[prompt:Search Terms] or this for the App Store apponepassword://search/[prompt:Search Terms]

I'm still having issues with the App Store version not displaying search results properly. The search results appear behind the alphabet list so it can be hard to see or select an item. The beta seems to handle search fine

• @jmreekes If the beta is handling search fine then you can consider it fixed for the next App Store release. Glad to hear we were able to correct the problem you were having there!

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Aleks,

make search slightly faster

Question: are you referring to the search results themselves taking time to appear, or that the "in progress" spinner keeps spinning? The reason I ask is because for me, the search results appear instantly (I have almost 4,000 items, just for reference); but the spinner keeps spinning until the alphabet list is populated. It seems that is what's causing the delay. Can you tell me if that's your experience, as well?

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.