Import CSV - Folder creation possible?

Options
erc
erc
Community Member

I've got hundreds of passwords to import in about 70 folders, and can process the CSV file with Perl to put it into just about any format that is required, but I was unable to find any documentation about whether 1Password's CSV import can handle folder creation.

I thought I remembered seeing something about a backslash option for folders during the import in the Windows version, but not in the Mac version. If the feature exists but only for one platform, that's no problem, I've got both Macs and PCs.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erc,

You're correct that 1Password 4 for Mac doesn't support folder creation when importing. I'll let you know when I've confirmed that it's possible with the Windows version and what the specific syntax is; it's not mentioned in the importing data guide.

• erc
    erc
    Community Member
    Options

Hey sjk, thanks for looking into it.

• erc
    erc
    Community Member
    Options

And maybe I should have posted this in the Windows section... when I do CSV imports with the Mac version, I don't get all of the data mapping options... it just kind of automatically does it. Maybe I'm missing something, but in Windows, it lets you choose which "column" in the csv maps to what piece of data.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erc,

There's a description of the 1Password 4 for Mac CSV input format in this article:

How can I import data from another application?

Turns out it is possible to import items into folders using 1Password for Windows. The Delimited text section of the importing data guide I referred to earlier has the general syntax. The Name field in your import data can contain folder and subfolder names, as long as they're consistently delimited with a single character. They work like directory paths in Windows, although you can select a different delimiter, and 1Password will create the folders and subfolders if they don't already exist. Login items get imported, and only the fields in the dialog box. Everything else is ignored so, ideally, the import data contains only Login items.

I hope that information is helpful. Please let us know the results of your importing if you do give it a try. :)

This discussion has been closed.