Lost Part of Secure Notes

Options
vnnkl
vnnkl
Community Member

Hi folks,

here is my problem:

I used to sync using dropbox, later with 4.0 i changed to syncing by iCloud.
A short while ago I imported the old file of my dropbox sync, since some Logins where missing, it said it would merge them (and only add missing stuff).

Now I am missing important parts of my notes, it seems like the newer versions have been overwritten by the old ones. The Last changed date went back to September 1st, although I had changes as recent as December made to them.

Are versions utilized? Dropbox only syncs the most recent version (tried to find them in my old one).
Is there a different way to get back to the state before the import happened?

thanks in advance

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vnnkl,

I'm sorry to hear that some important parts of your notes are missing now after merging older 1Password data from Dropbox.

If you look at those items do you see any old and new text separated by "===========" characters? You can search for the items by running Edit > Find > Show Search Options and using this search criteria:

If you can locate all of them and there aren't too many maybe it's easiest to manually edit them.

1Password automatically saves backups so you could restore the most recent one from before you did the merging with data from Dropbox. To do that, open the Preferences window and go to the Backup tab, select the backup to restore, then click the Restore button:

After restoring your 1Password 4 database to that pre-merged state you may still want to recover some of the older data from Dropbox. Instead of merging it with the current vault and recreating the problem you've just fixed you could create a new vault for that data, then copy specific items from it to the other vault. The Multiple Vaults guide has information about their creation and usage. But the creation step is easier in this case …

Just open the 1Password vault (keychain) that's in Dropbox (e.g. by double clicking it) and 1Password will offer to create a new vault from it:

Give it any icon, color, and name you want. Enter the password for that vault (keychain) to unlock it, then click Create Vault.

When that's done you can disable syncing with it by first clicking Change Syncing… under the Sync tab of the Preferences window:

Then click Disable Sync to confirm it:

Now you can choose which items from that vault you need and copy them to another vault.

I hope that information is useful for recovering all the missing 1Password data that you need. If there's anything more I can help you with to get this sorted out please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.