I had a custom backup location in 1P3 and now in 1P4 its still using that location for the backup

Options
bernardhamann
bernardhamann
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

I had a custom backup location in 1P 3 and now in 1P4 its still using that location for the backup, i want to delete that folder but every time I do 1password creates it again and places the backup files there and when i go to the setting in 1Password to change the location there is no option to change the location of the backup.

i don't mind if the app backs up to some folder in my library folder or something like that, but I don't want it to keep creating this folder that I don't want in my documents folder.

Can you please help fix this

Thank you.

Comments

• bernardhamann
    bernardhamann
    Community Member
    Options

Its fixed now, don't worry. I would delete the post but I don't see the delete button.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bernardhamann,

Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out! In general we recommend leaving the 1Password backups in their default location so that they are easier for us to guide you to in case you need them. :)

• jridpath
    jridpath
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I discovered today that I have a similar issue -- different formats of backups are being written, at different dates and times, to the two locations: .agilekeychain_zip files to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/; and .1p4_zip files to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Perhaps you could post how you fixed it? Or Megan can let us know what the issue is?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jridpath

Do you have v3 of 1Password still installed? If so please drag it to the trash and empty the trash. Please do not use any "cleaner" or uninstaller utilities.

Thanks!

Ben

• dblake
    dblake
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having a similar (but not quite the same) issue as @jridpath

Actually, I discovered today that I have a similar issue -- different formats of backups are being written, at different dates and times, to the two locations: .agilekeychain_zip files to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/; and .1p4_zip files to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

I have files in:

/Users/dustin/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

with the filenames:

1Password 2014-02-12 134548 (1574 items).agilekeychain_zip

1Password 2014-02-03 090025 (1574 items).agilekeychain_zip

1Password 2014-01-29 172359 (1570 items).agilekeychain_zip

1Password 2014-01-19 121143 (1566 items).agilekeychain_zip

1Password 2014-01-14 004645 (1566 items).agilekeychain_zip

1Password 2014-01-11 165132 (1566 items).agilekeychain_zip

I currently have 17 of these files, and they're all 75MB+

I also have 30 files in:

/Users/dustin/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

with filenames like:

1Password 2014-02-19 08_53_27 (1 profiles, 1310 items, 21 folders, 22 attachments).1p4_zip

these ones are all under 3MB

I'm using 1PW4, from the Mac App Store. 1PW3 is not on my computer, and has not been on my computer since shortly after I upgraded to 1PW4 (I had to reinstall it briefly to make sure that my data was not stuck in the browser extensions for 1PW3 before removing them, but then immediately removed 1PW3).

From what I understand, 1PW4 from the App Store in sandboxed and stores its data in the ~/Library/Containers/ folder, correct?

If so, should I just delete the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password folder, as that is from 1PW3?

Perhaps most puzzling is why there are recent backups in that folder at all? I've got about 4-5 backup files per month, going back to October 27, 2013, and the most recent is from February 12, 2014! Any ideas what might be going on here?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dblake,

It sounds to me like the 1Password 3 agent is still dutifully backing data up for you! Since you do have a nice collection of backups saved up with 1Password 4, you should be safe to remove the backups from 1Password 3 now. To remove the last little bits of 1Password 3 from your system, try this:

• Go to Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist
    • Choose Go > Go to Folder… and enter ~/Library/Application Support/
    • Delete the 1Password folder (NOT the 1Password 4 folder).
    • Restart your Mac.

This should get you all sorted out, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• dblake
    dblake
    Community Member
    Options

One last question - what if I don't have a 1Password 4 folder in ~/Library/Application/Support/ ?
    Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dblake,

~/Library/Application/Support/1Password 4 is the data folder location for the website/beta version of 1Password 4. It's also where the 1Password Troubleshooting utility creates a Diagnostics subfolder when generating a Diagnostics Report for 1Password 4. Neither of those folders will exist if you haven't run a website/beta version of 1P4 or generated a report, unless they were somehow later deleted (and never by 1Password or its Troubleshooting utility).

Keep the questions coming if you still have 'em. :)

This discussion has been closed.