Formatting Mac and fresh install V4

Options
PurpleBoots
PurpleBoots
Community Member

Hi,

I am currently running version 3.9.6 and have not upgraded to v4 yet. I now have v4 as part of a bundle of Mac software, and I am intending to install that after formatting Mountain Lion and upgrading to Mavericks.

My query is, how do I get all my 1Password data into V4 once installed? Do I just give it my Dropbox details and it will just find all the data there, or do I have to do a more elaborate method to import all my data?

Many thanks

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PurpleBoots,

I did my final Mountain Lion to Mavericks upgrade about a month ago, leaving me with no major software upgrades in the near foreseeable future. :)

Before running 1Password 4, install the Dropbox application and make your current 1Password data from Dropbox has been synced to the upgraded Mac. Then when you first run 1Password 4 it will automatically detect that data in Dropbox so you can use it to set up your Primary vault, like what's described/shown in the Existing Users section of this guide:

Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac

There's also a "… or click here to select a different option" choice on that screen you can use if 1P4 doesn't automatically pick the correct data (in your case, Dropbox) or to simply confirm it has made the correct choice.

With the correct data chosen, enter your Master Password and watch/wait while 1Password 4 copies data from your Dropbox keychain into the Primary vault. Sync options can be viewed/disabled/changed under Preferences > Sync. The 1Password 4 sync guide has more information.

We'll be here to help if you need it. May all your upgrades go smoothly. :)

• PurpleBoots
    PurpleBoots
    Community Member
    Options

That's very helpful, thank you! I will be doing the format and upgrade next week. 1PW 4 will be the first thing to install so I can get access to the license keys for the rest of the installations. Will pop back if i encounter any problems.

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @PurpleBoots.

If you do install 1Password 4 first on your freshly formatted/upgraded volume keep in mind that if you run it first it won't have any data to use unless it can locate it somewhere, which is why my original reply suggests:

Before running 1Password 4, install the Dropbox application and make your current 1Password data from Dropbox has been synced to the upgraded Mac.

In this scenario you'll want Dropbox configured/synced (keep its password handy!) before running/configuring 1Password 4. :)

This discussion has been closed.