New master password not working [resolved; restored from backup]

Options
Jallen
Jallen
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

The new password is 24 characters long, includes spaces. It was accepted by the change password dialogue. But will not open 1Password 4 version 4.1.3 running on OS X 10.9.1. Are there restriction in the entry dialogue box to open the vault? Can I simply restore an older version of the keychain?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jallen,

I'm sorry to hear that your new Master Password is failing to unlock 1Password. Any character that's accepted when creating a Master Password should also be accepted when using it. Both the 24-character length and Space characters with yours certainly shouldn't be causing this issue. Have you tried unlocking in both the main application and in 1Password mini?

If your 1Password vault is configured to sync with a Dropbox data file (keychain) then you might want to check if it can be unlocked using 1PasswordAnywhere. Or you could temporarily configure Dropbox or folder syncing to create a keychain to test with 1PasswordAnywhere. The latter is trickier because of local file restrictions; there's more information about that in @JasperP's post: here.

Even if you can unlock successfully using 1PasswordAnywhere that doesn't fix the problem with unlocking using the app. Like you've asked, you could try restoring a 1Password backup and see if that will successfully unlock. To do that, open the Preferences window and go to the Backup tab, select the backup to restore, then click the Restore button:

I hope that will work for you.

After you've got access your data with 1Password 4 again we'd still like to know why your new Master Password was rejected. If you'll never use anything like it in the future then maybe you can privately send it to us for testing here. But right now your primary concern is accessing your data so please let us know if you need more help with that.

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot access the keychain using 1PasswordAnywhere from my machine and from another machine. I am able to access it from my iPhone. I don't see how to get to backups on the iPhone. Can I restore the folder from a TimeMachine backup?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @Jallen.

To confirm, did you make this Master Password change using 1Password 4 on your Mac? And have you tried unlocking with the old one to see if it still works?

Did you find any backups in the Preferences > Backup window in 1Password 4 on your Mac that could be restored? Because you do still have access to 1Password data on your iPhone it could be used instead, if necessary.

So we can help you get this all sorted out through email please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

Once we see the report we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Jallen
    Jallen
    Community Member
    Options

I've just sent the Diagnostics Report. 5:13 pm MST.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've received your report, @Jallen -- thanks!

I see Alex already replied to email you'd sent earlier and we'll continue following up with you there to resolve this.

This discussion has been closed.