Can't get 1Password 4 to sync with any of my devices

Options
puffmammy
puffmammy
Community Member

I originally purchased 1Password from the Apple Store and installed on my MacBook Air running Mavericks. I've been trying to get it to sync with my iMac, also running Mavericks with no success trying to use iCloud, Wi-fi sync, or Dropbox. I've also tried to sync with my iPhone 5 (after purchasing the iPhone app) and no success there either when attempting to use iCloud or Dropbox.

This is extremely frustrating. I've spent close to 6 hours going through forums, online researching, FAQs, user guides, etc. I need someone from AgileBits to walk me through, step by step, the process for syncing between my MacBook Air, my iMac, and my iPhone 5. I'm extremely close to uninstalling everything and asking for my money back.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give specific advice but, just in case you haven't already read them (I'm sure you have!), there are some very good guides to syncing in the knowledge base here.

In the meantime it will help others to help you if you mention:

1. which version of 1P4 for OS X you are using;
    2. which version of 1P4 you have on your phone;
    3. which version of OS X you are running.

Sorry not to be of more immediate help.

Stephen

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thank you, I've been through just about every guide in the KB. I'm on OS 10.9.1 on both the MacBook Air and the iMac. I'm on iOS 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5. I've installed 1P4 version 4.1.2 on both the MacBook Air and the iMac.

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

Installed on my iPhone is 1P4 version 4.3.2

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

One thing that is thoroughly confusing is that when referring to iCloud, it says "you turn it on and that’s it, you’re all set." Yet in other places on the site, and in the discussions, I keep seeing notices that iCloud won't let 1P4 sync between computers at this time and that it will hopefully be available in a future update. So which is it? Can we use iCloud or not?

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

"Note: We plan to introduce iCloud support to the Mac app in a future update. At the moment, iCloud is restricted to the iOS devices. Visit the iCloud FAQs for more information."

This is from the iOS getting started with iCloud page. But I can't tell if this is an old message or current. This is what I'm referring to with regard to conflicting information.

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE - This evening when I opened 1P4 on my iMac, it said that it found my vault info in iCloud. Baffling. Especially since it's been no go for almost 24 hours. So at least at this point I appear to be able to sync via iCloud between my MacBook Air and my iMac. However, I'm still unable to sync via iCloud with my iPhone. Any suggestions?

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

2ND UPDATE - After performing a hard restart of both my iPhone and my iPad (I decided to try installing the iOS version of 1P4 on my iPad as well) and then going back in to 1P4, it found my iCloud data. Kind of a klunky integration process IMHO but if it will get me up an running, so be it. I "appear" to be synced now across all 4 devices but I haven't really tried syncing anything new so I'll do some testing and report if there are any more problems.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @puffmammy,

I'm so sorry to hear that getting set up with iCloud has been such a process for you, and that it wasn't easy for you to find the answers you were looking for in our knowledgebase and the forums.

I do want to let you know that you might need to be a little bit patient with iCloud. With Dropbox, 1Password is able to initiate a sync whenever data is change, but iCloud is still very much a closed process to us. When data is changed, 1Password will update the file on our end, but iCloud moves that file to the cloud on its own schedule. It certainly shouldn't take 24 hours though!

Hopefully things continue to sync perfectly for you, but if you do run into any snags, we're here to help :)

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1P4 on four machines: my MacBook Air, my iPad 2, my iPhone 5, and my iMac, all with current updates and the current OS. Syncing via iCloud, I have no problem between the MacBook Air, the iPad, and and the iPhone. Anytime I create a new login on my MacBook Air, I almost immediately see the info on my iPad and iPhone. But nothing is syncing to my iMac.

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Sorry, realized I should've posted this as a comment to my original thread. Please disregard thisthat thread.

[Too late; I've merged them. :) -sjk]

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

NEW UPDATE - I've been working with 1P4 now for a while from my MacBook Air and it's been syncing great via iCloud between my MacBook Air, my iPad, and my iPhone. I've created 6 or 7 new logins from my MacBook Air and I see the synced files almost instantaneously on my iPad and iPhone. But sitting down at my iMac, nothing is syncing to there. Can't understand why files are syncing seamlessly between my MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone but not to my iMac. Any ideas?

• puffmammy
    puffmammy
    Community Member
    Options

Things seemed to have resolved again. I restarted the iMac again and that seems to have pushed the transfer of data along. Odd though because I had restarted the iMac a week ago but didn't get it to sync. Working for now though.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @puffmammy,

I'm so glad to hear that your iCloud syncing has gotten its act together again. It sure can be fickle at times.

As you can see, I merged your other topic into this one. Thanks for the followup there, then here. :)

If syncing does misbehave again please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.