1Password 4 is not reading the 1Password 3 database

Options
AntonioDelgado
AntonioDelgado
Community Member

Hi,

I have spent a lot of hours here trying to find out what's wrong, so any help would be more than welcome.

So, I had 1Password for Windows, 1Password 3 for Mac, 1Password for iPhone & iPad sync with Dropbox and there was happiness.

Next, I had to upgrade the iOS apps to 1Password 4...

Later, I realized the passwords at the iOS apps were not syncing correctly and not receiving updates when I made changes in the 1Password for Windows or the 1Password 3 for Mac.

Today I bought the upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac and it's not showing the items I had in the 1Password 3 for Mac, but a different amount of objects (those probably at iOS apps).

So, how do I make 1Password 4 to import or reuse those items I have in the 1Password 3 for Mac app?

And if I want to continue using my valid 1Password for Windows with current passwords, what do I have to do? Because it seems it will be working with the old set (v3) passwords.

Please, I am getting crazy and I don't want to lose any information in this back&forth of versions.

Thank in advance for any hint, or help.

Regards

Antonio

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Antonio ( @AntonioDelgado ),

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble getting all your systems/devices to use and sync the correct 1Password data. Let's figure out what's going on there and get it working properly.

Was 1Password 3 on your Mac configured to use Dropbox syncing before upgrading to 1Password 4?

Is 1Password 4 on your iOS devices currently configured to use (only) Dropbox syncing?

You mentioned:

Later, I realized the passwords at the iOS apps were not syncing correctly and not receiving updates when I made changes in the 1Password for Windows or the 1Password 3 for Mac.

Is there still a problem with syncing changes between 1P4 on iOS and 1Password on Windows? And if you make a change on one iOS device do you see it on the other?

Today I bought the upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac and it's not showing the items I had in the 1Password 3 for Mac, but a different amount of objects (those probably at iOS apps).

Do you remember which (if any) data that 1Password 4 automatically detected during the setup? It sounds like it may have picked the wrong data to use. When you open the Sync tab in the Preferences window does it show any syncing is configured?

So, how do I make 1Password 4 to import or reuse those items I have in the 1Password 3 for Mac app?

Before doing that it will be best to determine which 1Password data is currently being used where and how it's being synced.

And if I want to continue using my valid 1Password for Windows with current passwords, what do I have to do? Because it seems it will be working with the old set (v3) passwords.

Does 1Password for Windows currently have all the 1Password data you want to use? And is it currently configured to use Dropbox syncing?

Please, I am getting crazy and I don't want to lose any information in this back&forth of versions.

I fully understood your concern. The reason I ask you a lot of questions before making suggestions is because it's #1 important not to lose any of your 1Password data anywhere.

The next step is to continue working with you on this directly in email. To do that please start by sending us a Diagnostics Report from Mac, along with a link to this topic, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. You can also include answers to my questions in that email or post them here.

Once we see the report and your answers we'll be able to better assist you getting this all resolved. Thanks so much!

• AntonioDelgado
    AntonioDelgado
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there still a problem with syncing changes between 1P4 on iOS and 1Password on Windows? And if you make a change on one iOS device do you see it on the other?

Sync between 1P4 on iOS devices and 1P4 on Mac is working, but not with 1P on Windows. I made another test and checked it.

After creating a new note on my iPad, I verified it was showing on my iPhone and 1P4 on Mac. I also opened 1Pv3 on Mac and the note was created although there are still items in the 1Pv3 (and 1Password for Windows) that does not show on 1P4 neither iOS.

Do you remember which (if any) data that 1Password 4 automatically detected during the setup? It sounds like it may have picked the wrong data to use. When you open the Sync tab in the Preferences window does it show any syncing is configured?

1P4 detected the same location Dropbox/1Password than I had for 1P v3.

A few days ago, I had the 1Password database in a different folder inside Dropbox, but reading through this forum I read it was better to avoid some problems to have it in the root folder so I moved it and reconfigured each of the clients. Nothing changed.

Does 1Password for Windows currently have all the 1Password data you want to use? And is it currently configured to use Dropbox syncing?

1Password for Windows has most of my data. I think I have been adding to the iOS apps changes that I thought they were syncing properly. If I have to choose between both data sets, I would like to keep 1Password for Windows. I bet merging is not a feasible option.

I created the diagnostic report and I am sending it right now.

Thanks.

• AntonioDelgado
    AntonioDelgado
    Community Member
    Options

I feel like dumb. I think I have found the "root cause" of my problems, which are basically a different layout between 1Pv3 and 1P4 interfaces.

My apologies and sorry for the time you have spent.

I always thought I was missing records because in my 1Pv3 and for Windows I have 12 accounts configured which were only showing as only 4 accounts in 1Pv4

The problem is that even if I created a new account at 1P for Windows they were not created under that category, but doing a full search I saw it was created as a standard login.

So I hope all the big deal is records are being sync correctly but not shown in the same categories.

In any case, if I am missing anything, or you foresee I may have any other sync issues, please let me know.

Kind regards.

Antonio

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know Antonio! 1Password 4 does indeed handle certain categories differently, so that would explain it! Thanks for the update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.