1Password Mini no longer works from Chrome New Tab page

Options
greg_
greg_
Community Member

My previous workflow was to open a new tab in Chrome, use the shortcut to launch 1Password Mini, search for the page I wanted to load, and hit enter.

Since the most recent Chrome update, I haven't been able to do so. Upon hitting enter, nothing happens.

However, passwords are filled as usual on forms that have already been loaded in the browser, and 1Password Mini can load a different site so long as any page but the New Tab page is currently open.

My new workflow is to load a new tab, go to any URL (eg: google.ca), then launch 1Password Mini, but it would be nice to skip the step of loading a page so that I can load a different page. (Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Chrome can have a page load automatically whenever a new tab is created.)

Comments

• greg_
    greg_
    Community Member
    Options

(I just discovered LaunchBar still works for 1Password entries from the New Tab page, so I'm using that in the meantime.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greg_,

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is acting up for you here. I've done some testing here, and I'm seeing the same thing with a New Tab open. Just to confirm, could you give me just a few more technical details about your setup there?

• What is the version number of 1Password and your operating system?
    • What version of Chrome are you using?
    • What is your 'Open URLs in' setting: New Tab, Current Tab or New Window?

I almost didn't notice this because I never even bother opening a new tab in Chrome before browsing. With 'Open URLs in New Tab' selected in 1Password, I just use ⌘\ to open the Mini, find the site I want and hit Enter to let 1Password do all the hard work. Nevertheless, we should probably still get this checked out :) I've filed a report in our tracker to see if our developers can't get this working properly.

• greg_
    greg_
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Megan,

Here are the details you asked for:

• OS X 10.9.1
    • 1Password 4.1.3
    • Chrome 32.0.1700.107
    • New Tab

I have the same settings ('Open URLs in New Tab'), but I'm often launching a new window because I'm doing something unrelated to my current window. (In Chrome, you can only set a page to load on launch, not on the launch of a new window or tab.)

Because that's the way I normally use 1Password, it wasn't until I was signing up for this message board account that I realized 1Password Mini wasn't entirely broken because the password generator filled the form as usual.

• greg_
    greg_
    Community Member
    Options

(Also, if I change the setting to "Current Tab", it kind of works: The URL starts loading, but the URL bar doesn't show the URL until the page loads. Then the URL bar gets focus, and the form isn't submitted.)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional details and information, @greg_.

Also, which version of the 1P4 extension for Chrome are you using?

The "kind of works" behaviour you've described with the Open URLs in Current Tab setting matches what's in the report that @Megan filed.

• greg_
    greg_
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 4.1.0.90.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greg_,

Sounds like you and I have the same set-up here. It's actually nice to have a reliably reproducible bug. :) Should make this easier for the developers to track down then. Thanks for confirming your details here, I'll pass them along to our technical gurus!

• This issue has been fixed in the latest extension (version 4.1.1). Chrome will update your version automatically but if you want to speed things up you can follow these instructions.

Please give it a try and let us know how it turns out. Thanks!

• greg_
    greg_
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update! My version is now 4.1.1.90. My usual workflow is the following:

• New window shortcut
    • 1Password Mini shortcut
    • Search for a login and hit enter

When I do that now, the following happens:

• The URL bar doesn't update until the site loads
    • The form is populated
    • The URL bar gains focus
    • The form is never submitted

This is an improvement, though, since I just have to click the submit button after everything loads.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greg_

Thanks so much for the update! I'll be sure that the filling gurus see this :) (I'm seeing the same behaviour as you - which is better, but not quite perfect yet.)

This discussion has been closed.