Complicated sync issue with iCloud (iOS and Mac computer) -- conflicting master passwords

theasaurus
theasaurus
Community Member

I first purchased 1Password on my iOS device before I was really ready to dig in and set all of my passwords up. I believe I selected the iCloud sync option, and set a master password that I promptly forgot (my bad).

Later, I installed 1Password on my Mac, which is also synced to iCloud. The app couldn't find any 1password files from iCloud, so I set a new master there and began adding/generating passwords with that account.

Problem is I can't figure out how to make my phone forget about that first master. Deleting and reinstalling the app didn't help, as it would just recall the files from iCloud and remain inaccessible.

I also tried to sync my current 1Password to iCloud with the current data, hoping it would overwrite the data from the iOS app. It requires me to input my master for data living in iCloud, with the password hint from my Mac master -- but my mac master wasn't being accepted. (I made sure it was the correct password by logging out and back into my mac app.)

A solution I stumbled across involved restoring my phone from when I first installed 1Password. Unfortunately this is not an option since it was so long ago and I would lose too much data.

Any suggestions on how I can proceed?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @theasaurus‌,

Thanks for writing such a detailed report of your issue! I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting 1Password set up and syncing, but we should be able to get this sorted out fairly simply. Let's reset iCloud sync and start fresh:

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.
    • Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

Now, we'll reinstall 1Password 4 for iOS, with an extra step to make sure there is no data stored in iCloud:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• On your iOS device, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).

• Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.
    • When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via iCloud

This should get everything sorted out for you, but if you hit any snags in the process, we're here for you!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Here is what I would do in a case like this. I hope it helps, but be sure to follow up if you need more advice from one of the AgileBits pros.

First, I would turn off syncing on both the iPhone and the Mac. On the Mac the option is under the 1Password Preferences in the Sync tab. You'll need to pick the option to change the sync method. You will be offered to the option to delete the data from iCloud when you do that. Accept that option. This is to eliminate the risk of confusing and merging data sets. Although if you don't have the password for the database you made on your iPhone, your likely can't get at it by any means anyway. You should then go to the sync section of the settings on your iPhone and turn off all syncing there.

Because you might have another database that you created when you installed 1Password on your iPhone, you should check to be sure there isn't a file left there from that. In the System Preferences on your Mac, open the iCloud preference panel. Make sure that the Documents and Data option is checked. At the bottom right is a button labeled Manage. Click that. On the next screen you may see and entry for your 1Password data left from your other installation from your iPhone. It has a long unintelligible name that starts with 2BUA8C4S2C. Delete that file and close the iCloud preference panel. (I'm not certain you will see such a file, but your difficulties suggest one exists.)

Now reopen 1Password on your Mac, return to its Preferences and turn on iCloud syncing again. Your data from your Mac will be transferred to iCloud. Give it 15-20 minutes to be sure it has all made its journey. Then open the application on your iPhone - it is version 4 isn't it? Version 3 didn't work with iCloud. In the settings for 1Password on the iDevice, select iCloud for syncing again. You should be asked for your master password, and then your will pull the data onto your iPhone From then on, syncing should be automatic.

Another random thought - you must be logged in to iCloud under the same AppleID on all devices.

This discussion has been closed.