1Password crashes when filling on websites [Resolved: incompatible extension]

wildert
wildert
Community Member
edited February 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've been using 1Password on my Mac for years. It's been working well until a few days ago 1Password started crashing every time I filled in web credentials on a site. I get the crash reporter ever time. Any idea how I can fix?

I sent in the crash report....

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @wildert.

I'm sorry that 1Password is crashing whenever you're using filling. Which browser/version are you running and which versions of 1Password (main and extension) and OS X? Did this problem first happen after updating any of that software and has your system been restarted since then?

• wildert
    wildert
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. It happens on Safari (7.0.2, with 1Password extension 4.1.0), Chrome (33.0.1750.117) and Firefox (27.0.1), so it's doesn't appear to be browser-related. I'm running 1Password 3.8.21 (build 32009). The updater says I'm running the latest. I've restarted my system numerous times but it hasn't helped. Basically, I choose the credentials to fill in, it fills them in and then I receive the crash reporter window. The result is every time I choose the browser extension, I have to reenter the password since it had crashed.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I'll bet you shouldn't be using a version 4 extension with version 3 of the main application.

• wildert
    wildert
    Community Member

Brilliant! That fixed it!

I see the problem. I have both 3.0 and 4.0 installed and for some reason 3.0 was running. I'll delete it and go back to the 4.0 extensions.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Hi @wildert,

Thanks so much for providing your version numbers! I can see where things are getting tangled up here: you are using the 1Password 4 extension with the 1Password 3 app. Because we've completely re-written 1Password for version 4, this extension will not work with 1Password 3.

You don't mention your operating system, but if you are using 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) or higher, your best option here is to upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac. This is a paid upgrade, but current users get a pretty sweet discount. Simply enter your license information in the field on our upgrade page to see your available discount on all our webstore products. We have a great guide to help you with Installing and Setting Up 1Password.

If your computer is unable to run 10.8.5, then you'll have to continue using 1Password 3 for the time being. In that case, we'll need to uninstall that version 4 extensions and get the version 3 extensions back.

For Safari, please follow these steps:

• Open Safari.
    • Click Safari > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Extensions tab.
    • Click "Uninstall" for the 1Password 4 extension.
    • Restart Safari and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html
    • Click the download button next to the Safari icon, and follow the instructions on the new page to install the extension.

For Chrome, please follow these steps:

• Open Chrome.
    • Type chrome://extensions in the address bar and hit return.
    • Click the trash can next to the 1Password 4 extension and remove it.
    • Restart Chrome and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html.
    • Click Download next to Chrome and confirm the installation.

For Firefox, please follow these steps:

• Open Firefox.
    • Click on the Tools menu, then Add-Ons.
    • Click the remove button next to the 1Password 4 extension and remove it.
    • You also need to remove the extension database. Follow these instructions: https://mikhailt.clarify-it.com/d/4zpylm
    • Restart Firefox and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html
    • Click the download button next to the Firefox icon, and follow the instructions on the new page to install the extension.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.