Feature Request for Multiple Bank Account Login

Options
doctormo
doctormo
Community Member

Problem - When I am logged in to a bank account (Bank1) in Firefox, my two accounts are listed at the top of the 1P Mini listing (4 listings due to two-step login process) and not listed in the LogIns listing. If I try to open the second account by clicking on the Bank2 login, nothing happens so I have switch to or create another tab that is not part of the same domain to get the Bank 2 account back in the Login listing to auto fill and login. This also happens in other domains where I have multiple accounts (Apple?) but the bank accounts are the most annoying since I check them often.

Possible solution - When in the bank domain, have the other accounts listed both at the top of the 1P listing and also in the Login listing so I can select the second account there and login with a new tab. I need to check both accounts periodically so it would be nice if I did not have to workaround this.

If there is a way to do it and I missed it, let me know.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Thanks for describing this issue. If I understand it correctly here's a suggestion that might make it less tedious for you:

Let's say you have two Login items for different accounts with Bank of America Savings in the same domain, have already used one for logging in, then want to use the second item from a page still in that domain. One way of doing it is to open 1P mini, select the second item, display its details, and select the website field to open and fill with that item. Ending up with something like this (minus the open and fill step):

It's relatively efficient just using the keyboard. With that example image:

• Open 1P mini: Option-Command-\
    • Navigate to the website field: Down-arrow, Right-arrow, Down-arrow, Down-arrow
    • open and fill: Return

Even quicker would be a shortcut for open and fill with the first website field of the selected item. Would that be an acceptable solution to this issue for you?

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

sjk - Your method is better and would save me a step. I did not think to let the edit window pop up then manually Open and Fill from the web address.

Not sure what the best way would be to accomplish this. A shortcut would be nice if there is an elegant way to do it. One way would be to right-click on another domain item to launch it but that might be too hidden and not totally Mac consistent. Direct shortcut access to the Open and Fill step would be nice if you can figure out a nice method.

Currently, I have bank accounts 1 and 2 and each has two parts for the security question step so the listing is Bank1-1, Bank1-2, Bank2-1, Bank2-2. I select Bank1-1 from the main menu to open and fill, answer the question, then select Bank1-2 from the top menu to fill in the password on the form which works as it should. I then want to repeat the steps for account 2 so both accounts are opened which takes the extra step.

However, I am having an odd issue with US Bank site (https://www.usbank.com/index.html). When I follow the steps above using your method, the second US Bank site comes up, logs in, goes to the security question page and immediately switches to a black page named dcs.gif. More importantly, the first US Bank site goes back to the original login page and no longer is in the account.

I set up a second Bank of America account like your example above only with two parts and the dcs.gif screen did not pop up like the US Bank site but the original account goes back to the login screen when attempting to login to the second site. You should be able to repeat in Firefox with your example.

I went to Safari and was generally able to get your method to work so it may be part of the continuing issues with Firefox which I have been working through with the other beta people. However, one major problem popped up. If Safari was not the default browser, your method to open the second site in Safari opens it in Firefox not Safari. Once Safari is set as the default browser it seems to work ok. All other sites open as normal in Safari only those accessed via your method switch back to the default browser. This also works the other way if you open sites that way in Firefox when Safari is the default browser.

FYI - Using 1P 4.2.beta8 and 4.2.0b8 extensions

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Opps, last sentence mixed up - "This also works the other way if you open sites that way in Firefox when Safari is the default browser."

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

I can see how this can be confusing. I think your above solution could work and will mention it to the developers:

When in the bank domain, have the other accounts listed both at the top of the 1P listing and also in the Login listing so I can select the second account there and login with a new tab.

That way you can use the Login in the "Login using" section to simply fill the fields on the current page you are viewing (helpful if there is more than one login URL you use on a site) as well as the "Open Login" section which will first navigate to the URL stored in the Login item and then attempt to fill.

I would guess that this subtle distinction could cause some confusion, so we've not implemented it that way so far. For example, if someone accidentally tries to use the "Login using" function on the current page (say https://example.com/login/page) but accidentally invokes the "Open Login" version of the Login item (which has https://example.com stored as the URL) the rug gets pulled out from underneath them. They were expecting to just have 1Password fill in the fields on the current page, but instead the URL completely changes, a new page is loaded, and then they are logged in. It could be a bit disorienting. :)

If it helps, the way I use 1Password is to only use "Open Login" on an empty tab. I have "Open URLs in…" set to "Current Tab". So whenever I want to log into a different account, I just open a new tab with ⌘T then ⌥⌘\ with type to find and press Return.

We'll see how we can improve this in the future, though! Thanks again for your feedback on this.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Khad - sjk's method actually works ok for me now. It is just not as obvious as it should be and requires you wait for the edit window to pop up the make the selection. Direct access would be better but it needs to be an elegant solution or it becomes cumbersome.

Did you check out the issue I noted above? This one repeats easily so it should be easy to track down. Just follow sjk's method to access another site in the active domain in Safari when Firefox is the default browser or vice versa and it never works correctly.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is just not as obvious as it should be and requires you wait for the edit window to pop up the make the selection.

Yeah, clicking the URL within an item's details does the trick, but it does require an extra click. One thing that might help would be to use the keyboard. You can use the Right arrow key to open the details view the selected item. I find the keyboard to be much faster for this sort of thing. You can even use the arrow keys to move down to the URL and press Return.

The issue you describe with US Bank sounds like they are just only allowing a single login session per "computer" (or more likely per browser). If you try to log in to another account in a second tab or window they will log you out of the first session. The hangup sounds like a redirect issue on their end. Does it only happen when attempting to log in to a second account while you have a login session already open with them?

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Khad - I do not like using the keys with 1P, I do for other things but I usually just click in the corner and locate where I want to go and login.

I can get the two accounts to work with US Bank in Safari so I think it is just the way that 1P Mini tries to do it.

I still want you to check out the problem with launching a site with sjk's method (from item details) in Safari when Firefox is the default browser or vice versa. It always launches it in the default browser regardless of which browser you are in.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Our developers are currently tracking an issue where 1Password opens in the default browser, despite which browser currently has focus. Could you please tell me what version of 1Password you have installed?

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

Mavericks OS, Version 4.2.BETA-8 (420008), Extension 4.2.0.b9 in Firefox 27.0.1 and Safari Version 6.1.2

It happens when launching a site from the item details in 1P mini with the website open & fill.

doctormo

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Thanks for confirming that for me! The problem our developers are tracking just recently appeared in the latest betas. Rest assured, our tech gurus are looking for a way to get this behaving properly again soon.

EDIT: It seems that Mike is helping you with this issue in the beta forums here Just to avoid confusion, I'm going to close this thread and let the conversation continue there, since this is a beta issue. :)

This discussion has been closed.