1Password works in a browser but I can't open the app. Get a AGDatabaseError message

al333
al333
Community Member
edited February 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

1Password works in a browser but I can't open the app and I'm not even sure it's syncing.

When I try to open the 1Password app I get an error that says "AGDatabaseError. Exception: The encryption keys file does not exist at 'file://localhost/Users/alchait/Dropbox/1PW/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/1password.keys'

I sync with Dropbox and recently changed to a new dropbox account and copied the 1Password folder into the new dropbox account.

I'm on an iMac using 10.9.1. My 1Password is on Version 3.8.21 (build 32009). In Dropbox is a folder called 1PW and inside that is a file called 1Password.agilekeychain

How do I fix the encryption key problem in the new dropbox account.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @al333,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. I'd like you to try rebuilding the data file. Please go to Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data file. This should re-create the encryption keys and get you all set up!

However, if you are still unable to access your database after rebuilding the data file, I'll need to take a closer look at your system.
    Using your browser please download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• al333
    al333
    Community Member

Thanks. However, I couldn't rebuild the data file because I can't open 1Password. I get the AG Database error message and a spinning thing. I downloaded your diagnostics tool, opened the zipped file and double clicked on 1Password_diagnostics. When I do I get an error message that says "1Password_diagnostics" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. What do I do now?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the followup, @al333.

I'm sorry you're still stuck getting 1Password 3 to launch and can't rebuild the data file.

Instead of double-clicking the 1Password_diagnostics file to run it, please try right-clicking it, selecting Open from the menu, then clicking Open in the dialog. Then continue with the rest of these instructions that @Megan posted earlier:

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

That report should give us enough information so we can specifically suggest how you can fix this problem. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.