How can one switch vaults in iOS app?

Options
iwonder3
iwonder3
Community Member

I thought that the whole idea about vaults is that i can access different vaults depending on the password I enter. This appears to not be the case.

Is data synced to the same file/s? Can different vaults be accessed via the iOS app?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited October 2013
    Options

@iwonder3 Vaults sync through different keychains, and you can set different sync preferences for each vault.

The iOS app does not support multiple vaults yet, only 1Password 4 for Mac has that feature. But I believe that it's planned for a future update to the iOS app.

• MikeT
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi @iwonder3,

@JasperP is correct. The separate vaults are created once you enable the sync for them. Without the sync, they're all stored in the same internal database but separated with a different encryption key. Each item row have its own encrypted values that along with its own vault ID. When you enable the sync for a specific vault, 1Password will export and create an encrypted sync format by pulling all items with that specific vault ID.

If you unlock the primary vault, you unlock all of the secondary vaults. If you start out 1Password by unlocking the secondary vault, you will be required to enter a different password to other secondary vaults, unless you unlock the primary vault. Doing so then unlocks the rest.

The iOS app will be updated to support multiple vaults, I don't have a timeframe yet but it is coming as a free update to 1Password 4 for iOS.

• Rich88
    Rich88
    Community Member
    Options

I just spent a lot of time searching for this answer and finally found here. I wish this major limitation had been called out in the documentation about vaults. I spent some time creating new vaults on my mac (hey, spiffy new feature!) only to find out that information is no longer available on my iOS devices. :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Rich88.

I'm sorry the information about current lack of support for multiple vaults for 1P4 iOS being wasn't more clearly available for you and certainly hope no irrecoverable data loss involved. Many of us are looking forward to that spiffy new feature making its iOS appearance.

Are there any specific places you might have expected to find that information or would like to suggest it be? We do want people to at least be aware of platform-specific differences that could matter to them. Thanks for any further feedback you have about this.

• jbeasley
    jbeasley
    Community Member
    Options

Any Updates. We are loving the multiple vaults and the vault sharing. Can't Wait to have the support on our phones

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jbeasley,

I don't have an update to share at the moment. Our developers are working very hard on the next big release for iOS. When further information is available it'll be posted in the usual spots: here, our blog, Twitter, etc. :)

Thanks!

• sebpennec
    sebpennec
    Community Member
    Options

Pretty disappointed to see that multiple vaults are not supported on iOS.

I know I should have read all the docs first, but I just upgraded my single license to a family license for OSX and created a family vault so my wife and I can share the common accounts…

Since both OSX and iOS versions are in 4.x, I thought that this feature was on all platforms…

Anyway 1Password is a great product and I'll just duplicate the data for now, but it would be really great to see the feature come to iOS.

This discussion has been closed.