alembic
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

My setup:

Mac Mini, Mavericks Server
MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard
MacBook Air, Mavericks
iPhone, iOS 7

I want client devices to sync to the 1Password data inside the Library folder of the admin account on the Mac Mini.

When I try to set the sync folder from the laptops, I can't access the desired Library folder on the server. It doesn't display in the list of folders to navigate. I think this is due to the ~/Library/ folder being hidden by the OS.

I'm not interested in using any external public sync services like Dropbox or OneDrive. I just want all my devices to sync to a single 1Password data source whenever I'm at home.

What is the recommended approach for this scenario?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @alembic,

Thanks for describing your setup and that you'd like to do local syncing between your systems/devices.

1Password 4 for Mac has its own internal database called OnePassword.sqlite, which can only be directly accessed by one instance of the application. Its location depends on which version of 1Password you're using:

MAS:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

Website/Betas:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

Trying to sync that folder between your Macs won't achieve your intended result and, worse, is likely to eventually damage the database.

Instead, sharing of the database can be done through one of the supported syncing methods mentioned in the 1Password 4 sync guide.

Here's a brief overview of a possible way to accomplish your goal of local syncing:

You could configure folder syncing on your Mac mini and MacBook Air to sync 1Password data between them, with each Mac referencing the same folder (and Agile Keychain in it).

On your MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, 1Password 3 could then be configured to use the same Agile Keychain wherever it's been configured with folder syncing on the other two Macs.

Finally, 1Password 4 for iOS on your iPhone could use local Wi-Fi syncing between it and 1Password 4 on either of your Macs running it. Currently this must be done manually; we are exporting ways to make this automatic. As far as I know there are no immediate plans to implement folder syncing for iOS.

Please let us know if we can provide additional information about that or would like help getting any of it set up.

The recommended approach, however, is to use Dropbox syncing for a system/device/software combination like this. :)
    Are there any specific reasons you'd prefer not to use it?

This discussion has been closed.