Update Issue - failing to download 1Password 4 from Mac App Store [resolved; disabled Hands Off!]

Options
PhilSiv
PhilSiv
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Hi, I tried to run the latest update after it came as an alert in the apple app store updates. However, I keep getting an error saying “1 Password – Password Manager and secure wallet failed to download. Use the purchases page to try again.”
I try this but no luck, I deleted the app to see if it would then down load, but still the same error. So now I’m without the app at all.
I’m on OS X 10.8.5. Help ?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PhilSiv,

I'm sorry you're having trouble downloading 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store. Could you please restart your system, then try downloading again, and let us know if that works? Sometimes the App Store gets in a confused state that's cleared by a system restart. Thanks!

• PhilSiv
    PhilSiv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for the reply. I took the action but get the same message, no change. I've opened a ticket with Apple, but do you have any other suggestions?Anything to try and fix a broken download?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @PhilSiv. I'm sorry that wasn't helpful.

Here's are some suggestions that @roustem referred to for fixing this problem:

How do I resolve a failed download,...: Apple Support Communities

Removing the temporary App Store files is an easy place to start, like also mentioned here:

Awaken The Dawn | App Store Download Issue [Resolved]

And there are other reports of the problem due to using an older version of iTunes, e.g.:

Mac App Store, Failed to Download, Use the Purchases Page to Try Again - MacRumors Forums

I hope something there will help get the 1Password 4 download from App Store working for you. Please let us know how it goes! :)

• PhilSiv
    PhilSiv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Many thanks for the links, the one regarding clearing the cache matched my problem – but it failed. Tried it a few times, restarting and clearing everything, no joy. I’m afraid this looks terminal. I’m going to upgrade to mavericks in the hope that may clear it, but assuming not, would I be able to purchase a different copy and import my passwords?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PhilSiv,

Drats, that's too bad App Store is still stubbornly refusing to download 1Password 4. Has this been a problem with any other software?

There's no shortage of suggestions around the web for how to resolve App Store issues like this. Since you're upgrading to Mavericks that's probably easier and more likely to work than some of the complicated things I've read people try. Or Apple might have to do something on their end that allows the download.

… would I be able to purchase a different copy and import my passwords?

Before or after your Mavericks upgrade, switching to the Agile Web Store (AWS) version of 1Password 4 is an option. This guide has instructions:

Migrate from MAS to web store version

You'd currently skip the initial Turn off 1Password mini and quit 1Password step because you don't have the MAS version installed to do it. The rest involves moving existing 1Password data for the MAS version to where the AWS version can find and use it. Your previous 1Password MAS purchase qualifies you for a free license for the AWS version (if necessary). When the MAS version is installed (even if never used), running the AWS version automatically copies the MAS receipt to use for the license. And you can run the AWS version in unrestricted trial mode for 30 days without a license.

Bottom line: there is a way for you to get 1Password 4 running again without any re-purchasing. :)

• PhilSiv
    PhilSiv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk, thanks again for the advice. I plan to do the upgrade over the w/e so if that does not solve it, I'll follow your directions. Will give another update Sunday evening. Cheers !

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Sounds like a good plan, @PhilSiv. For me 10.9.2 has noticeable improvements over 10.9.1 so I think you're timing it right. :)

I look forward to hearing from you again after the upgrade!

• PhilSiv
    PhilSiv
    Community Member
    Options

Hey sjk, problem solved. I went back through some of the links you sent me and I'd missed some advice to disable Hands Off, which is a security application that can monitor and block application communications. So I deleted the temporary app files, disabled hands off - and it worked. I now have my password app back and very happy.
    A security app stopping a security app - I should have guessed......

So big thanks for the help, got there in the end.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @PhilSiv. That's great news!

I'd almost suggested checking for Little Snitch, etc. blocking but noticed Carolyn Samit had mentioned them in her Apple Support Communities post:

Apps such as Little Snitch, Net Nanny, and Hands Off can prevent apps from downloading successfully.

Hands Off! - one of those OS X apps with '!' exclamation point in its name. SuperDuper! is my favorite. But Sync!Sync!Sync! could be the most cringe-worthy. :)

A security app stopping a security app - I should have guessed......

:D

Thanks for the followup with how you finally resolved this. I'm so glad you did!

This discussion has been closed.