Licensing

Options
esimtar
esimtar
Community Member

I purchased 1PASSWORD for Mac. I use an android phone, a windows system at work. It that I should be able to install 1PASSWORD on each of my devices so I can sync and keep my password with me wherever I go, however it seems a separate license is needed for each device. The license alone is expensive for 1 device. I can't imagine purchasing for all devices and spending over $100. Is it correct that you must have a separate license for each device? If so, I think you should state that plainly on your web site, if I had known that I would not have purchased it. The way it stands now I would have to tote my MacBook around everywhere I go so I can see what my password are when I visit a site from work or my phone.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, the licence is per operating system (but not for individual devices). I can understand your frustration, but I would be frustrated the other way round if my fee covered all systems, since I never use Windows or Android. AgileBits just had to decide which group of potential users to frustrate.

That said, it is possible to buy a bundle for Mac and Windows, though you would still have to buy for Android.

And if your purchase is recent, you can get a refund if you really dislike the pricing.

Further, if you use Dropbox and sync there, then you can get at your passwords using a browser to get to the Dropbox file (1PW Anywhere), though that won't give automatic entry of passwords.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @esimtar,

I do apologize for the confusion with licensing. 1Password software is platform-specific, which means you do require a separate license for each platform you wish to use 1Password on. We have our software available individually on each platform to make it easier to meet each customer's unique needs without charging them for software that they don't need. Because we offer 1Password on such a variety of platforms, we have found this method allows the most flexibility for our users.

However, we certainly don't want you to have to pay full-price for software more than once, that's certainly no fun! Since you purchased 1Password for Mac, you can get a discount on 1Password for Windows by entering your current license code on our upgrade page. If you purchased 1Password directly from the Mac App Store, just send us your receipt at support@ agilebits .com and we'll hook you up with a coupon code.

As far as Android goes, the current version of 1Password available for Android is a free Reader, which provides you read-only access to your 1Password database, available in the Google Play Store. We're currently working on a full-featured Android app that is currently in beta testing. You can read all about that app here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/11/15/1password-4-for-android-the-beta-like-winter-is-coming/.

If you're not keen on more software right now, that's ok. If you sync your 1Password database to Dropbox, you can always access your 1Password data through 1Password Anywhere. Just log in to Dropbox on any web-browser for read-only access to your database.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• esimtar
    esimtar
    Community Member
    Options

ok thanks! I didn't know there was a free Android reader. That helps. I was aware of the 1Password Anywhere, I have to use it at work to determine a password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @esimtar,

I'm glad that helped - let us know if we can be of any further assistance, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.