2 Vaults

Options
D1951
D1951
Community Member

System: Mac OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks
1Password Version 4.2.BETA-11 (420011)

I have 2 vaults. One named "Primary" the other "1Password".

I'm using 1Password from Dropbox on a Mac Pro tower, 2-MacBook Pro's and an iPad.

Preferences indicate - Syncing Primary Vault with Dropbox.

In the main window "Primary" is checked. If I check "1Password" instead, what happens?

All of my devices access dropbox and 1Password opens with the same login password for each device.

Do I need the vault named "1Password"? And where can I find it? Can I delete it safely?

Are these vaults linked?

Can you tell me why and how both exist?

Don

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Don ( @D1951 ),

I'm glad to see that you're exploring 1Password's multiple vault feature! There's a lot of cool options there. If you'd like to read a bit more about the subject, our support article on Multiple Vaults can give you a bit more information.

In the main window "Primary" is checked. If I check "1Password" instead, what happens?

You can switch between vaults by clicking on the vault icon in the top menu bar. This will open the chosen vault and show you the items that are currently stored there.

Do I need the vault named "1Password"? And where can I find it? Can I delete it safely?

You do not need to keep any secondary vaults. If you want to keep all your information organized within a single vault, you can certainly remove the secondary vault. However I would first recommend taking a peek inside it to confirm that there are no items currently stored there. Use my instructions above to view the secondary vault to see if it has any data in it. If it was created by accident and has no data in it, you can delete it by clicking on the 1Password menu while you are viewing the vault and selecting the 'Delete [1Password] vault' to remove the vault.

Are these vaults linked?

They are 'linked' in that your primary vault will hold the encryption keys for all secondary vaults so that you can switch between them without always entering the Master Password for the vault. But each vault has separate sync settings and acts as a separate database to help you organize and share your information.

Can you tell me why and how both exist?

The primary vault was created when you set up 1Password 4 for the first time. 1Password does not automatically create any secondary vaults, so this one could have been created by accident - were you testing out any features recently?

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but if you need a bit more help sorting out your vaults, please let me know and we'll do some further investigating. :)

This discussion has been closed.