Auto-detect that one of the DB attachments is a 1P4 license

Options
Everyone
Everyone
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac
  1. I've called my 1Password 4 entry: "Agile 1Password." Attached to it is a ".onepassword-license" file. So when I load up the database, why not make 1Password scan all attachments and say "Hey, we've detected the following 1Password 4 license(s) in your database; do you want to register using one of them? If so, select it below: [Names of detected licenses]"

2. Another annoyance is that when I do finally register, it insists on creating a "1Password" software license entry, even though I already have one called "Agile 1Password" with that exact keyfile already attached. Why not scan the database and see if that attachment already exists and if so, don't create the "1Password" entry?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback here. I'll pass along your thoughts to see if we can't make the licensing process even more automatic and intuitive in the future. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Aren't all records but the one being viewed always encrypted? If so, could the application successfully search the data for anything?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @hawkmoth.

A brief partial answer is that we decrypt as little as possible. The overviews for the items needed for the list view are decrypted and then the contents of the selected item is decrypted as the selection changes.

• Everyone
    Everyone
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan Great :)

@hawkmoth @sjk It's true that all items that aren't viewed are encrypted, but that's just for the viewing-aspect. Things like the search, smart folders, etc, can do a whole database search if it wants to, and will undecrypt and check each record on the fly. So yes, both of my feature suggestions are doable.

This discussion has been closed.