1Password vs. What I used Before !

Options
AShearer
AShearer
Community Member

It may be that I am not that unusual but, in our household we have 3 Mac's, 3 iPads, two iPhones. Until Mavericks, I was using Yojimbo by BB Software (a great piece of cheap databasing software) to record, store and sync my passwords and serial numbers. Yojimbo did sync with Mobile Me (remember that?) but not with iCloud. A fix was coming, but then in what was a big disappointment, BB announced that Yojimbo would only sync with Mavericks. Mavericks came, along with iCloud Keychain. It seemed like the way to go. Unfortunately, my 2006+ Mac Pro will not run Mavericks, and thus will not sync Yojimbo and it's database of serial numbers and passwords! Argh! Search for another password storage that syncs. Along comes 1Pass 4 for Mac. Now I can run 1Pass 4 on my laptops, and 1Pass 3 on my old (amazingly fast and capable) Mac Pro running Lion. This is great! Have I run into a few glitches; yes! Of course. But, I have 1Pass running on my MacBooks, iPads and my old Mac Pro via 3.X and syncing through Dropbox. It work's extremely well, as mentioned, with a few glitches which Agilebits is helping me work out.

Just a completely unsolicited prop to Agilebits for coming with a bridge to the gap between Mac OS's, at least for the time being. I'm hopeful that 3.X will be around long enough until I can justify the new MacPro, whew what a pricey new desktop!

I can't make that leap yet. I have a perfectly performing, MacPro 1,1 running Lion with 16G of ram and 1.5T of drives. I just can't, I can't.

So; Bottom Line. 1Pass has bailed me out for the time being, as long as that may be in the software world. I'm hopeful I will have a 3.x solution for some reasonable period whatever that means?

End.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AShearer,

Thanks so much for the kind words here! We never get tired of hearing from satisfied customers. And we will be happy to continue supporting 1Password 3 as long as our users need us to. We're here for you. (Having just purchased a new MacPro myself, I can completely understand wanting to delay that until the coffers are properly prepared!)

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member
    Options

A New MacPro!! You mean a NEW MacPro as in the cylinder? Mine is a 2006 dual Xeon. I have 16g of ram and 1.5 T of disks. I just can't make sense out of replacing this. It runs faster than anything else I own. But, it won't run Mavericks and thus, I am dislocated from my other Macs. I am making it all work.

FWIW: I run Lion; Parallels/Windows 7, Virtual Box Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS all at the same time and don't miss a beat. If I tried to do even half of that on my MacBook, it would choke. Of course, it's not meant for that kind of abuse. But, my point is, here is a 7 year old MacPro that outperforms. The Motherboard and channel architecture is outdated (so said). I crave a new MacPro, but don't want to spend $4000.

Anyway: Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AShearer,

Oops, I got a bit excited there and combined computer names! I can't quite manage anything as fancy as a new cylinder (yikes!) I use a MacBook Pro for work, and my home computer is a 'simple' 27" iMac. Perfect for photo projects, and certainly a significant enough expense to sympathize with you ;) Although, I admit, now I'm drooling over the cylinder just a bit as well.

May your 7-year-old MacPro continue to outperform for you for years to come! (Or at least until you've won the lottery.)

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member
    Options

I have to admit to being tied up with something else and nôt checking AB forums. MacPros are not so common and many times I've had folks mix up MacBook Pro with Mac Pro. If I had to buy a desktop today, I would buy a used MacPro from Powermax and use my old 27 inch samsung flat screen as a monitor, nothing wrong with iMacs, I've had one, just really limited in terms of adding stuff, internally and especially via USB and FireWire or now, I guess thunderbolt. Anyway. All the best. Fingers crossed you win the new computer lottery.

• Everyone
    Everyone
    Community Member
    Options

@AShearer If you are comfortable with a little bit of hacking, there's a chinese guy who has spent the past few years writing a substitute bootloader for 2006-2007 Mac Pros which makes them capable of running Mavericks, and he released it ~2 months ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1598176&page=2

Note that you need:
    1. A firmware update to take it from Mac Pro 1.1 to 2.1 (read up on the internet, I don't have the links at hand)
    2. A graphics card that is supported by Mavericks, basically anything that the 2008+ models used is supported as far as I know
    3. And some work to install this alternative bootloader, and the ability to re-add that bootloader in the future in case an update comes along and breaks it (most people do that by having a small, separate partition with an older version of OS X so they can boot into that and fix any problems that may arise)

If you're willing to jump through those hoops, you'll have Mavericks running natively on the 2006-2007 Mac Pros. Just a tip.

You'll have to do more research because I just came across this on a Mac news site and don't know everything.

This discussion has been closed.