REQ: Copy the 1ClickBookmark URL

Options
Smudge
Smudge
Community Member

I love the 1ClickBookmark feature but it is not easy to get the URL [for other purposes]. Currently one has to drag the item entry in the 1P application to a text document or to the bookmark entry in the Bookmark Manager of the browser. Often 1Password and the web browser are not arranged in a way that is easy to drag/drop the item.

I'd like to request a feature to copy the selected item's 1ClickBookmark URL to the pasteboard via a menu option (Copy 1ClickBookmark URL) when contextual clicking on an item and/or from the Item menu, as well as a keyboard shortcut Command+Option+C.

Thanks.

P.S. When I drag an item to a text editor, the URL is duplicated. Is this required for the web browsers or a bug? It is very annoying for me as I'm editing a bookmarks.html file to add a lot of 1Click bookmarks and I'm having to clean up every one. For instance, here is a simple text document showing what appears when I drag over my AgileBits forum login item.

Comments

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Smudge,

Thanks for the feature request. We love hearing ideas and recommendations from our customers! Your suggestions help us keep making 1Password awesomer and awesomer!

As far as your bug, we were able to duplicate the issue in Sublime Text, but not in any of the other text editors we tried. Our theory is that it is that like copy/paste, it can have variations of the type of data contained in the copied text. It's then up to the app to choose the one that it can handle best.
    This is why when you copy a link in Safari and then paste it into Evernote it pastes the text and the link, but if you paste it into a plain text editor it just gives the URL

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @Smudge.

Another example of that "redundant duplicate" bug:

Drag a Login item from 1P4 to Finder's Desktop (or into a folder) and two .webloc files will be created.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

@eva_s, I just noticed that the Preferences has an Advanced tab where there are options to enable Copy UUID and Copy JSON menus. If my suggestion can't be part of the main features, perhaps another advanced option for Copy 1ClickBookmark URL can be added to that screen.

@sjk, yup I get that here too. This is a bug with v4 as I remember dragging items to text editor and to the desktop and getting only single entries. Just something to pass along to the developers.

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @Smudge.

After reading your original post I'd checked Preferences > Advanced for a Copy 1Click URL option I might have forgotten. :)

Even if it doesn't quite fit with Copy UUID and Copy JSON commands typically used for troubleshooting, that still seems the right place for it as an optional Item menu command.

My previous report:

[4.0b76] duplicate drag/drop bookmark creation (bug)

All this stuff's in our tracker. :)

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, by chance is your bug tracker publicly viewable?

If not, perhaps that is something to bring up with your dev team. Having it viewable will allow us to see if an issue is known before posting about it in the forums and it would allow you to link any forum posts to the bug.

For a good example of this, take a look at the Jira system at Atlassian. I use their programs and having the ability to see current and submit new bugs is a wonderful resource. It is also possible to have a mix of public and private bug tracking systems so you could still keep some things internal/private.

Just something to think about. I think it would help with keeping users in the loop and reduce the duplicate forum posts.

This discussion has been closed.