Where did password history for generated passwords go?

Options
mtanner
mtanner
Community Member

Hi all
Today I was really annoyed because I generated a new password for my router but 1Password did for some obscure reason NOT update it in the respective entry for that particular URL. The result is, that I can no longer access the router! Needless to say that this is not really my best day... In the future I will have to copy the generated password into the clipboard BEFORE sending it to the page to avoid time consuming reinstallations. 1Password 3 had a nice feature to look up ALL recently generated passwords. Why was this taken away? And is there a solution for the above mentioned situation?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Do you see the missing password if you look in the Passwords category?

Stephen

• mtanner
    mtanner
    Community Member
    Options

No, I think 1Password completely missed that I entered a password... I now write down any generated password on a notepad until I am absolutely sure that it's stored properly. Not very elegant but avoids embarrassment..

• nuke
    nuke
    Community Member
    Options

I just got burned by this missing feature now as well. My mac crashed now long after the pw was generated.

The password I set was for a key for a wallet for crypto currency, if I cant find this password the coins are lost forever.

Why would you remove this feature? As long as its protected by the master pw then whats wrong with keeping the history?

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Generated passwords are saved into the "passwords" category in 1Password if/when you click the fill button on the generator.

Thanks!

Ben

• dmoor
    dmoor
    Community Member
    Options

If I understand the above comment correctly , if I'm in the Safari 1Password extension, generate a password, and then use it to fill the password field on a Safari web page and then save the form then it should show in the passwords category. The most recent password in this section I have is 1/9/14. Yet I have 10 logins which have saved generated passwords since 1/9/14 whose passwords do not show there. The most recent one was created this evening. I'm running 1Password 4.2.1 on a 10.8.5 MacPro mid 2010.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmoor,

When using Fill in Password Generator a Password item with the password that was just filled is created, then automatically removed after saving/updating a Login item in the AutoSave window. The could explain why items you expect to be in the Passwords category don't show up there. For example, were Password items automatically removed after passwords for your most recently updated Login items were updated?

This related change was made in the 4.1/4.1 update:

• Duplicated generated passwords are now removed after saving or updating a login in the Save Login window.

I hope that helps. If not, we'll investigate why any of your Password items that should be saved and retained are missing.

This discussion has been closed.