Long passwords

Options
Amnesia
Amnesia
Community Member

I regularly try and replace passwords with those as long as possible yet the ability to generate passwords longer than 30 characters no long exists. What happened?

Comments

• Amnesia
    Amnesia
    Community Member
    Options

I have found how to do it, but why make it so hard to find? Why no password generation option in the file menu? Did anyone consider checking with a member of the public on usability?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Amnesia,

I'm so glad to hear that you've been updating your passwords - it's a great way to start off the new year!

The difference between the max length of the password generator in 1Password Mini and the main app is a known issue, and our developers are looking for a way to make this possible. However, I would like to draw your attention to our security expert's post here where he notes:

The chances of cracking a random 23 character password (or 128 bit key) within the age of the universe using a billion supercomputers is so small that there there is no meaningful security gain in making it any smaller.

I do apologize that the password generator was hard for you to find within the main app. For future reference, File > New Item and the '+' button next to the search field will bring up the item list, just select 'Password' and you're ready to generate! In any case, I'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our developers. :)

• Amnesia
    Amnesia
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I am slowly changing them. Is there a way to determine the max length of any password prior to generation? I find some sites have no mention of maximum length so have to regenerate smaller and smaller passwords until it works. I know that problem is not your fault but that of the website operator.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Amnesia,

Unfortunately, you're right. Some websites do set maximum lengths for passwords that are not publicized on the site. There is no way to determine this except by trial and error (or perhaps if they are kind enough to provide a useful error message after a too-long password is entered.) Thankfully there are not many of these sites, so hopefully this is not a problem you will run into often.

If you do notice a sneaky maximum length rule for a password on a particular site, it might not be a bad idea to include a note in the Login entry to remind your future self that the password cannot exceed 'x' digits when you go to update your passwords next time. :)

This discussion has been closed.