Sharing 1Password data across iCloud ID's & Windows VM

Options
dleseward
dleseward
Community Member

I have a slightly unusual setup and I am wondering how to make it work.

I setup the trial version of 1Password 4 on a Mac running latest OS-X with iCloud Sync. This works perfectly with my second MacBookPro and the account that shares the same AppleID for iCloud. I haven't tried with my iPhone & iPad yet, but that is because there isn't a trial version on iOS. I haven't found any references to 1Password and Windows running on Mac virtual machines so far.

On my MacBookPro, I run Windows8 under a VMware Fusion6 virtual machine. While the Windows VM shares true documents folders, etc. it does not have direct access to the ~/Library/.... directories where the 1Password data files reside. I thought that I could use SpiderOak, which I use for cross-platform & account file sync, to create a sync copy of the 1Password directory in a directory that was accessible by the Windows version under the shared Documents folder. While keeping the 1Password iCloud sync so that my Macs & advices can work together.

SpiderOak seems to do synchronise the files without problem. However when I installed the latest 1Password for Windows trial version the program will not recognise the synchronised Data directory as containing a valid 1Password database. Am I missing something? or can I make this work with iCloud for Windows?

All versions are the latest 1Password v4, OS-X and Windows are also up to date.

Note that I am assessing a move from LastPass to 1Password, so making this work across platforms is important to whether I commit to the change. Part of the reason for changing was the easy integration via iCloud for OS-X/iOS, so I'd prefer not to give that up.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dleseward,

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed outline of your setup! Now, despite the fact that you are using 1Password for Windows on your Mac inside a virtual machine, we are essentially dealing with cross-platform sync.

To sync your 1Password 4 data with Windows, you have two options: Dropbox or Folder Sync using a system like SpiderOak. Unfortunately, iCloud is not an option for Windows, primarily because Apple has not made the service available on the Windows platform. There is a further complication to your current setup with SpiderOak because the data stored in iCloud makes use of our new cloud-keychain format, and 1Password for Windows is not yet able to read this format. Our developers are working hard on a great new version of 1Password for Windows that will accept this format, but for the time being, your data needs to be in the .agilekeychain format to be read by 1Password for Windows. Both Dropbox and Folder Sync store data in this format.

We've been working with the Dropbox team almost since the inception of 1Password to ensure that sync is smooth and secure. Dropbox is a great solution that will keep all your devices, virtual machines included, in sync.

I'm sorry that I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but please do let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help :)

• dleseward
    dleseward
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for the response, albeit not what I'd like to hear.

One point is confusing to me though, 1Password on the Mac stores the actual data in a database file OnePassword.sqlite & two other accompanying files. Presumably this means that you are using SQLite which of course works across OS-X, Windows, Linux, etc. So I don't understand why the Windows version of 1Password can't read these files.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dleseward‌

1Password for Windows does not use SQLite at this point, unfortunately. SQLite is new with 1Password 4. Previous versions of 1Password for Mac & Windows use the Agile Keychain format, which you can read about here:
    http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html
    vs the new Cloud Keychain design:
    http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

I hope that helps explain. Thanks!

Ben

• Bunny Critch
    Bunny Critch
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to keep my 1P data on a 16GB keychain USB thumb sized data storage device. Where is my data stored on my iMac running 10.9.2? And how do I transfer it? Thanks

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @Bunny Critch‌,

To store your data on a USB drive, you'll need to move your .agilekeychain file to the USB flash drive.

You'll only find an Agile Keychain file if you're using Dropbox or Folder syncing. If you are not currently syncing, or are using a different sync method (like iCloud), you will need to enable (or temporarily switch to) folder sync. That will allow you to choose a folder for an Agile Keychain file to be stored.

• Bunny Critch
    Bunny Critch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jasper. Good to go

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bunny Critch‌,

On @JasperP's behalf, you're welcome! I'm glad to hear you're good to go and thanks for letting us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.