1Password 4 does not sync properly if using Dropbox for the keychain store [moved to email]

Options
jaked.902
jaked.902
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I use Dropbox to sync my 1P keychain, and have been for many years. Time to time, I will notice that one machine is not reflecting changes made on another machine. When this occurs, I check the sync settings, and usually the machine I'm currently using will show it synced within the last 5 minutes, but the machine I'm not using but added the new entries on will show as not having synced for an hour or more. The only fix I have found is to stop using DB sync on the offending machine and then re-attaching it. When I do this, I lose any entries made on the machine which I unlink and re-link. After this process, everything seems to work for a while.

It's frustrating, especially when doing things like setting up new Wordpress sites where there are new 1P entries with a lot of info I don't usually copy elsewhere (generated passwords for example), so it means I have to go back and change all the WP, cPanel and database passwords.

I'm using Macs only, running Mavericks (10.9.2) on both machines, and 1P 4.1.2 (412009). Both machines are hardwired to an FTTH internet connection, 180 down and 80 up, no blocked ports. I have also seen the same problem on my iPhone, it's also solved in the same manner by unlinking and re-linking the machine I made the new entries on (either a MBP laptop or a Mac Pro).

Please advise.
Thanks

Jake Dambergs

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jake ( @jaked.902‌ ),

I'm really sorry that you've been losing items and Dropbox syncing hasn't been working reliably with 1Password between your Macs and iPhone. Let's first focus on the item lossage:

… but the machine I'm not using but added the new entries on will show as not having synced for an hour or more. The only fix I have found is to stop using DB sync on the offending machine and then re-attaching it. When I do this, I lose any entries made on the machine which I unlink and re-link.

To make sure I understand correctly, you're adding items in 1Password that initially appear normally in its database but are gone after you've reset Dropbox syncing on the same Mac where they were added?

From the Mac where that's most recently happened, please send us a Diagnostics Report, along with a link to this topic, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

I have also seen the same problem on my iPhone, it's also solved in the same manner by unlinking and re-linking the machine I made the new entries on …

In this case are items you've added in 1Password on one of your Macs not appearing on your iPhone until after resetting Dropbox syncing on the corresponding Mac?

Just so it's clear, are any items permanently lost during any of this? Regardless, after we've received the Diagnostics Report we'll continue working with you directly in email to determine the cause of any problems and get them resolved.

Thanks in advance!

• jaked.902
    jaked.902
    Community Member
    Options

To make sure I understand correctly, you're adding items in 1Password that initially appear normally in its database but are gone after you've reset Dropbox syncing on the same Mac where they were added?

In this case are items you've added in 1Password on one of your Macs not appearing on your iPhone until after resetting Dropbox syncing on the corresponding Mac?

These inferences are both correct. I have added to a Mac, the new entry does not show up on any other device, I unlink Dropbox from 1P, the entry disappears, I relink dropbox, and must re-add the entry which disappeared. I have seen the same phenomenon occur with my iPhone being the source record device, although not recently (adding a new entry on the phone, which has wifi and data, new entry does not show up, need to re-link Dropbox before syncing resumes accurately). In the past I was using both Dropbox and iCloud sync, as until I spoke with a 1P support rep I had no reason to think this might be a bad idea. Until now, I assumed this had somehow contributed to the problem. iCloud sync has been off on my phone for months now.

A log has been sent by email from the most recent offending machine as requested. FWIW, this has been happening for a while. I emailed about it before, was asked to post a log, did, and the topic then died.

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @jaked.902‌,

Thanks so much for sending in that Diagnostic Report! We'll follow up directly via email so as to avoid creating any confusion between here and there or duplicating efforts.

Now, I was unable to find your report in our system using the email address attached to your forum account. If you would like me to track the Report down to ensure that your issue is dealt with as soon as possible, please send me a private message with the email address you used to send in the Report and I'll see what I can find!

UPDATE: The Diagnostic Report has been found - have no worries! Our support team will be in touch soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.